Zarifa Sautieva. Screenshot from 'Radio Marsho' video posted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubF_1Po3Bc

21 July 2019, 11:32

Zarifa Sautieva indicted

On July 20, investigators charged Zarifa Sautieva, her advocate, Bilan Dzugaev, has reported. He is sure that this was done in violation of her client's rights, who was detained within the case of clashes at a rally in Magas.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Zarifa Sautieva was detained on July 12; law enforcers took her to Nalchik, where on July 15 the local court ruled to place her in custody until September 11. The advocate has appealed against the court's ruling at the Supreme Court (SC) of Kabardino-Balkaria.

Zarifa Sautieva, the deputy director of the Memorial complex to victims of repression in Nazran, took part in rallies against the change of the border with Chechnya. After the October protests, she claimed she had been dismissed for political reasons.

The linguistic examination of the video record of the rally in Magas and the testimony of a secret witness, presented by investigators to the court, fail to prove Sautieva's guilt of calling to attack law enforcers, her defence asserts.

Having charged her, investigators believe that they have enough proofs of Zarifa Sautieva's guilt, Bilan Dzugaev has stated.

The advocate believes that the investigators violated his client's rights by not responding to her motions. According to Mr Dzugaev, Zarifa asked investigators to watch the video from the rally together with her and explain what and how she had said, so that investigators themselves could be convinced of her innocence.

The advocate did not disclose the articles imputed to Zarifa Sautieva.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on July 20, 2019 at 08:58 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

All news

August 22, 2019 08:12

August 22, 2019 08:00

  • "Rustavi-2" stops news releases

    After the dismissal of the leader and two presenters, the news programme "Courier" has stopped broadcasting on the Georgian "Rustavi-2" TV Company. It became clear to the authors that the channel fell under the control of the ruling party, said Mikheil Sesiashvili, one of those who have quitted.

August 21, 2019 21:47

  • Electoral office of presidential candidate Arshba shelled

    Policemen have begun searching for the man who has shelled the electoral office of Oleg Arshba located in the Abkhaz village of Mgudzyrkhua today. The office staff has treated the incident as an attempt to intimidate the presidential candidate and his team.

August 21, 2019 21:38

August 21, 2019 19:41

News archive