A special operation conducted in the village of Troitskoye, Sunzha District. August 23, 2020. Photo by the press service of the Russian National Antiterrorist Committee (NAC) http://nac.gov.ru/kontrterroristicheskie-operacii/v-ingushetii-v-hode-kto-neytralizovany-troe.html

21 October 2020, 11:39

Rights defenders treat refusal to give out bodies of those killed in Ingush CTO as illegal

The Lolokhoev brothers and Aslangirei Gadaborshev, who were killed by law enforcers in counterterrorist operations (CTO), had not been brought to justice for any terrorist activities; therefore, the refusal to give their bodies out to relatives for burial is illegal, experts believe.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on August 23, in the village of Troitskoye, law enforcers conducted a CTO, in which, according to their information, three supporters of the "Islamic State" (IS, a terrorist organization banned in Russia by the court) were killed; and two law enforcers were wounded. According to the Ingush National TV and Radio Company (NTRK), the casualties were identified as Magomed Saraliev, Aslangirei Gadaborshev and Ibragim Lolokhoev, while Isa Lolokhoev and Sharip Saldaev were killed in the CTO conducted on August 17-18 near the village of Galashki, Sunzha District. According to special services, they had planned terror acts. Law enforcers refused to give their bodies out to relatives.

In the opinion of Magomed Mutsolgov, the head of the MASHR Human Rights Centre, the long-term practice of refusing to give out the bodies of suspected militants killed in CTOs testifies to the inhumanity and senselessness of measures to prevent terror acts.

When Yunus-Bek Evkurov was the head of Ingushetia, the bodies of those killed in special operations, as a rule, were given out to their relatives, but there were exceptions, said Tamerlan Akiev, the head of the Ingush branch of the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial".

"The most resonant cases, when relatives tried to get the bodies of killed militants through the court, were the 'case of 55 militants', killed in 2005 during the attack on Nalchik, and the case of Aslan Maskhadov, the leader of Chechen separatists. In their attempts, relatives reached the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), which found that relatives' rights had been violated; however, they still haven't been told where their relatives were buried," Mr Akiev has added.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on October 21, 2020 at 05:09 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alikhan Mamsurov; Source: CK correspondent

All news

November 29, 2020 12:05

  • Armenian conscripts' parents demand to withdraw troops from Karabakh

    Regular soldiers should be returned from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia; otherwise they may become victims of acts of sabotage or be captured, protesters in Yerevan have stated. The Armenian Defence Minister has ruled out the troop withdrawal, but promised to send soldiers to vacations.

November 29, 2020 11:48

  • Law enforcers conduct searches near right defenders' in Karabulak

    Law enforcers have cordoned off an area in the city of Karabulak, where the office of the human rights organization "Mashr" is located, and searched several houses, sources have reported. The operation was accompanied by interruptions of mobile internet throughout Ingushetia.

November 28, 2020 21:09

  • Chechnya ranked third in North Caucasus by COVID-19 deaths increase

    Over the past 24 hours, 23 patients died from coronavirus in the North-Caucasian Federal District (NCFD): 10 people died in Dagestan; seven – in the Stavropol Territory. Chechnya is in the third place; three deaths were recorded there for the last 24 hours. These three regions are still in the lead in the NCFD in terms of the daily increase in the number of infected persons.

November 28, 2020 18:22

  • COVID-19 restrictions in force in Georgia

    From November 28 to January 31, 2021, mass events are prohibited in Georgia; catering facilities have been transferred to a remote operation mode; and the movement of public transport and pedestrians is limited.

November 28, 2020 17:51

  • School work resumed in Stepanakert

    Russian peacemakers have demined the territory of one of the schools in Stepanakert; they have also resumed the heat and electricity supplies thereto, after which the school has resumed its work. During the last 24 hours, 2115 refugees returned to Nagorno-Karabakh.

News archive