Press conference in Nazran, November 21, 2018. Photo by Umar Yovloi for the Caucasian Knot

22 November 2018, 00:59

Ingush activists threaten to raise issue of Prigorodny District

If the Constitutional Court of Russia supports the agreement on the border with Chechnya signed by Yunus-Bek Evkurov and Ramzan Kadyrov, protest actions will be resumed, and the question of the Prigorodny District will also be raised. This was stated by members of the Ingush Committee of National Unity at a press conference held in Nazran on November 21.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that since October 4, Magas, the capital of Ingushetia, was the venue of a mass action against the changing the border with Chechnya, which was interrupted in order to prepare the World Congress of the Ingush People.

On October 30, the Ingush Constitutional Court (CC) declared the law on the border with Chechnya to be unconstitutional. The head of Ingushetia, Yunus-Bek Evkurov, said that the CC's decision did not cancel the agreement, since it had already entered into force.

"Depending on the decision of the Constitutional Court, all civilian forces of Ingushetia agreed to begin simultaneous work on the active return of the Prigorodny District and a part of Vladikavkaz, and all the social forces of the republic are united in that direction. The World Congress of the Ingush People will also be held to return the Prigorodny District," stated at the press conference Akhmed Barakhoev, one of the activists of the Ingush Committee of National Unity.

In autumn 1992, an armed conflict occurred between Ossetian and Ingush people, who lived in the Prigorodny District of North Ossetia. As a result, according to the Prosecutor's Office, 583 people were killed, other 939 people were injured, and 261 more people disappeared. According to various estimates, 30,000-60,000 Ingush natives had to leave the territory of their historical residence in the Prigorodny District and Vladikavkaz. Most of them settled in neighbouring Ingushetia.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 21, 2018 at 07:44 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Umar Yovloi; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2018 22:29

December 12, 2018 22:22

December 12, 2018 18:17

December 12, 2018 18:13

  • Dagestani authorities ignore request of Avars from Kenkhi village

    The request of the Avar residents of the village of Kenkhi, Sharoi District of Chechnya, to build a road connecting the village with the Tsumadin District of Dagestan, remained unanswered. This year, roads were built only in the village itself; but there is no road to the border of Dagestan, said Ramazan Djalaldinov, a resident of the village.

December 12, 2018 15:56

News archive