A law enforcer. Photo © Yelena Sineok, Yuga.ru

16 November 2018, 18:49

Researchers of Caucasus criticize official version of shootout in Chechnya

The statement of law enforcers that those killed in the shootout in Chechnya had links with militants is not convincing enough, but people need to wait for the investigators' conclusions, experts believe. The casualties were buried in a nameless grave, said a relative of one of them.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on November 11, in the village of Martan-Chu of the Urus-Martan District, two young men, born in 1994 and 2001, tried, according to law enforcers, to hijack a car, rendered armed resistance and were shot dead. Ramzan Kadyrov blamed their fathers for the fact that their sons "went to war."

It is unlikely that the casualties had links with the armed underground, an expert on Northern Caucasus believes. According to his story, the fact that the guys were armed with one hunting rifle evidences against the law enforcers' version; besides, no one was hurt by the guys' actions.

It was not necessary to kill the young men, even if they "went to war," since important information can be obtained from living militants, said Mikhail Roschin, a senior researcher at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS).

He did not rule out that those killed "were negatively assessing the socio-political processes in Chechnya," but he doubted that had been involved in the armed underground.

In his turn, Sergey Goncharov, the president of the international association of veterans of the "Alfa" antiterrorist unit, has noted that the guys were the first to open fire on law enforcers; therefore the latter had reasons to open a return fire.

According to Adlan, an activist of a Chechen NGO, no casualties' relatives have turned to human rights organizations for help.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 16, 2018 at 01:19 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Source: CK correspondents

All news

February 21, 2019 08:30

February 21, 2019 08:27

  • GPO challenges refusal to arrest Kocharyan's administration head

    The court will consider the complaint of the General Prosecutor's Office (GPO) of Armenia on the refusal of the first-instance court to arrest Armen Gevorkyan, the former head of Robert Kocharyan's administration, who was accused under the case of dispersing demonstrators on March 1, 2008.

February 21, 2019 08:25

February 20, 2019 23:44

February 20, 2019 23:40

News archive