21 July 2018, 08:10

Dagestan: two policemen attacked and killed

A car of the DPS (road-and-patrol service) was shelled on the "Kavkaz" Highway in the Kizilyurt District of Dagestan; two policemen were shot dead and one was wounded; the attackers managed to escape.

The attack was committed in the evening on July 20, at the 764th kilometre of the "Kavkaz" Federal Highway; the DPS car was shelled from a Lada car that moved in the same direction.

There were three GIBDD inspectors in the DPS car: two of them died on the spot; the third one was wounded, the "Interfax" reports with reference to the Dagestani Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA).

Abdurashid Magomedov, the MIA head, and an operative-investigating group arrived at the incident venue; the whole staff of the district police division was alerted; and the "Sirena" plan was put into action to search for the attackers. So far, there is no information about the health condition of the wounded GIBDD inspector.

The TASS reports with reference to its law enforcement source that the attack was committed by the group of militants involved in the destruction of the grave of the Muslim Sheikh Said Afandi of Chirkei.

At night on May 9, in the Dagestan village of Chirkei, a room for ziyarat (worship) was blown up near the tomb of Sheikh Said of Chirkei. The responsibility for the explosion was claimed by the terrorist organization "Islamic State" (IS) banned in Russia.

The source failed to specify the suspected attackers' names; and there is no official confirmation of attackers' involvement in the explosion of the theologian's grave.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on July 21, 2018 at 01:43 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

All news

February 21, 2019 17:36

February 21, 2019 17:31

February 21, 2019 12:28

  • Witnesses in Azerbaijani journalist Mustafa Gadjibeili's case confused in testimonies

    At the trial in the case against Mustafa Gadjibeili, the editor-in-chief of the website "Bastainfo.com" in Azerbaijan, the court completed listening to witnesses. The court listened to the testimonies of two women, who said they were "alarmed" by articles published on the website, but did not specify what "alarmed" them, a defendant's advocate reported.

February 21, 2019 12:25

February 21, 2019 12:20

News archive