17 August 2017, 18:14
Azerbaijani journalist Afghan Mukhtarly left under arrest for two more months
The Nasimi District Court of Baku has granted the investigators' request and prolonged the arrest of journalist Afghan Mukhtarly until October 30. This was told to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent by advocate Nemat Kerimli.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on May 29, Afghan Mukhtarly, who left Azerbaijan for Georgia in 2014, disappeared in Tbilisi. On May 30, he reported that he had been kidnapped and brought to Baku. There, he was charged with trespassing the border, smuggling and resisting a border guard.
"The Prosecutor's Office has motivated the extension of the detention for Afghan Mukhtarly for other two months 'by the need to carry out investigative measures,' and also by the suspicion that Afghan Mukhtarly can escape from investigators if he is at liberty. In fact, no investigative measures are being carried out. In total, several investigative actions took place, although the Prosecutor's Office had enough time - 2.5 months - to conduct all events," Nemat Kerimli said.
According to him, the defence will appeal against the Court's decision.
Despite his persistent health problems, Afghan Mukhtarly remains cheerful, noted the advocate.
Today, at the trial, Afghan Mukhtarly has repeatedly claimed being prosecuted for political reasons, said the advocate. "Afghan has said that he published journalistic investigations about corruption in the top-ranking echelons of power in Azerbaijan on the website "Meydan.Tv", which chief Emin Milli resided in Germany. Afghan has reported that law enforcers cannot arrest Emin Milli and therefore kidnapped him in Tbilisi," noted Nemat Kerimli.
Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.
Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent