06 August 2017, 21:13
No one killed in fire in Sumgait hostel
In Azerbaijan, a fire in a Sumgait hostel was explained by short circuit on the third floor. Meanwhile, no explosion occurred in the building, and none of tenants was killed. All the victims are already discharged from hospital. This was reported by the local authorities.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that yesterday, on August 5, an explosion occurred on the third floor of the hostel in the eighth residential district in Sumgait, and after that a fire occurred. According to eyewitnesses, as a result of the explosion, some people were killed and others were wounded; however, the information about the casualties was not confirmed. It was reported that 25 people were taken to the hospital, including a policeman and a staff member of the Ministry for Emergencies (MfE).
Today, the Sumgait city ambulance station has reported that 18 people with smoke poisoning were brought to hospital for medical treatment, including six policemen, two MfE rescuers, and ten tenants of the hostel.
"16 people were sent home already yesterday," said a source as quoted by the "Sputnik Azerbaijan". In addition, the source continued: "Two of them an elderly woman and a child confined to bed stayed at our place until the morning. However, we have already sent them home, since there is no threat to their lives."
According to Eivaz Godjaev, the chief of the press service of the Sumgait executive power, the fire in the building was caused by short circuit.
Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.