14 April 2017, 15:25

Kremlin reacts to “Novaya Gazeta” reports about threats from Chechnya

The Kremlin has received a letter from Dmitry Muratov, the editor-in-chief of the “Novaya Gazeta” about threats to newspaper journalists coming from Chechnya, Dmitry Peskov, the press secretary of the Russian President, told reporters today.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on April 13, the “Novaya Gazeta” published a statement, saying that an adviser to the head of Chechnya and Chechen theologians had openly called for violence against the newspaper journalists for their articles about persecutions of gays in Chechnya.

On April 1, the newspaper "Novaya Gazeta" reported about mass detentions in Chechnya of men suspected of unconventional sexual orientation. Later, the newspaper "Novaya Gazeta" reported with reference to gays persecuted in Chechnya that in Argun, a "secret prison" had been arranged for people with unconventional sexual orientation.

"The Kremlin is following the situation; we received an appeal from the editor-in-chief of the ‘Novaya Gazeta’; besides, I received a letter, which also describes this situation," said Peskov, noting that "if, in someone’s opinion, publications of the newspaper were defamatory or distorting the reality, there are legal methods of challenging and bringing the authors of certain materials to responsibility."

"Of course, we are categorically against any other methods of influence, which are contrary to the law; moreover, we are against any actions that could pose a threat to the safety and life of journalists," the “Interfax” quotes Mr Peskov as saying.

According to his version, the Kremlin has no confirmed information about persecutions of people of non-traditional sexual orientation in Chechnya.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

August 22, 2017 15:32

August 21, 2017 18:58

  • Number of fire victims in Rostov-on-Don reaches 27

    In Rostov-on-Don, five persons have been hospitalized as a result of a fire. One of the victims is a member of the rescue team from the Ministry for Emergencies (MfE). This was reported by medical officers from the hospital.

August 21, 2017 17:27

  • Fire victims from Mokok call their village "Russian Aleppo"

    The authorities, who promised to pay compensation to fire victims from Mokok, do nothing to keep their promise. This was reported by local residents. At present, the Dagestani village with burned down houses "looks like the Syrian city of Aleppo," noted Tagir Magomedov, a local resident.

August 21, 2017 14:33

August 21, 2017 13:55

News archive