03 August 2016, 19:11

Defendants in "Nardaran case" refuse to plead guilty

Today, the Baku Court of Grave Crimes has begun considering the case of Talekh Bagirzade, the leader of the movement "Muslim Unity", and other 17 persons accused of committing a number of grave crimes. The indictment was read out at the court session.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on November 26, 2015, in the city of Nardaran, during a special operation, the raid power agents detained 14 persons, including Talekh Bagirzade. This provoked riots, during which seven persons were killed.

At the end of the August 3 court session, Fariz Namazly, an advocate of Abbas Khuseinov, made a statement for the media on behalf of all the defenders. He said that the indictment had been announced at the trial. The defendants refused to plead guilty.

"Talekh Bagirzade has stated that the special operation in Nardaran was a pre-planned provocation of the authorities. He said he and other believers had been doing their namaz (prayer), when some 20-30 armed men broke into the premise. Bagirzade said that these persons saw no armed resistance. He believes that since no armed resistance was rendered, the death of two policemen could be the work of the authorities themselves," said Namazly.

He also said that during the trial his client Abbas Khuseinov stated use of torture against him to force him to give confessions.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2019 17:34

  • Chechen officials neglect US sanctions

    Ruslan Alkhanov, Chechen Minister of Internal Affairs, invited the United States to include all Chechen policemen in the US sanctions list. The Chechen Minister's proposal demonstrates his allegiance to Ramzan Kadyrov, who is also under the US sanctions, local residents suggest. Instagram users ironically commented on the sanctions imposed by the US Department of State.

December 12, 2019 17:26

December 12, 2019 17:09

December 12, 2019 11:33

December 12, 2019 11:29

  • Rights defenders analyze background of the First Chechen War

    The first military campaign in Chechnya had been brewing since 1990, and was carried out without any account of expert estimates; launching a war machine in its worst form cost tens of thousands of human lives, analysts have concluded on the 25th anniversary of the advent of federal troops into Chechnya.

News archive