Journalists detained in Grozny, February 19, 2016. Photo: Facebook.com/Hedasaratova

19 February 2016, 22:35

Journalists leave Chechnya after check for links with IS

Today, in Grozny, power agents have detained three journalists, arguing that they were preparing an illegal report. On the same day, all the three were released.

Olga Pavlova, a correspondent of the "Caucasian Policy", Konstantin Solomatin, a Moscow photojournalist, and a Finnish female journalist, whose name is now specified, have been detained in Chechnya on suspicion of involvement in the "Islamic State" (IS), the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was informed at the office of the "Caucasian Policy"; the staff have added that the journalists had already left the territory of Chechnya.

Beslan Uspanov, the chief editor of the "Caucasian Policy", explained to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent: "Two journalists have arrived in Grozny: a Finnish lady and a photojournalist from Moscow. They planned to make some report, and asked Olga [Pavlova] to meet and escort them. They were on the way to some cafe, when a car drove up to them; and agents began taking away their phones."

According to Pavlova, all the detainees were put into the car and taken to the police station. In the corridor Pavlova heard the staff talking about "some available information about the detainees' links with the ISIL."

"She was questioned separately at the police station about what they were doing, what they were going to film and so on; they spent more than an hour there, and, finally, policemen apologized and let them go," said Beslan Uspanov.

After a meeting, the editorial board will decide "on sending a request to law enforcement bodies on the legality of journalists' detention," he concluded.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Magomed Tuayev; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 24, 2017 18:33

  • Date for return of Ingush battalion from Syria announced

    On May 10, fighters of the battalion of the military police sent from Ingushetia to Syria will return home. This has been reported today to Yunus-Bek Evkurov by Vladimir Ivanovsky, the head of the Chief Department of the Russian Military Police.

March 24, 2017 18:28

  • IS claims responsibility for attack in Chechnya

    The organization "Islamic State" (IS), banned in Russia, has claimed responsible for attacking the military camp of the National Guard, as a result of which 12 people were killed and three others wounded. Four days before the attack, a video appeared on the Internet of a meeting of militants-returnees from Syria, members of another terrorist organization, which opposes the IS.

March 24, 2017 18:23

  • Authorities find rally of Navalny’s supporters in Volgograd anti-constitutional

    The rally of supporters of Alexei Navalny planned to propagate the ideas, which may be treated as aimed at undermining the constitutional order, an official of the Volgograd Mayoralty has stated at court. The aim of the rally was to get answers from the authorities to the questions voiced in the Navalny’s film, said Alexei Volkov, the electoral office coordinator.

March 24, 2017 14:49

  • Alexander Dolzhenko's defence accuses court of desire to produce "second Magnitsky"

    In Elista, in his final speech, defendant Alexander Dolzhenko has announced to the court his innocence in the case of deliberate bankruptcy of the "Dalnyaya Step" Company. The funds were withdrawn from the company under the control of top-ranking officials. This opinion was voiced by advocates, who suspect the court of "the desire to make the second Magnitsky out of Alexander Dolzhenko."

March 24, 2017 14:27

News archive