07 April 2003, 13:37
Argutinsky-Dolgorukov, Moisey Zakharovich
Russian military man, descendant of an Armenian princely family.
Born in 1797. Received primary education in Tiflis college for the noble and was intended by his father for civil service. General A.P. Ermolov, noticing much talent in the young man, persuaded his father to send him for service in St. Petersburg. In 1817, M.Z. Argutinsky-Dolgorukov was enlisted in service at a Leib-Guard Cavalry Regiment.
During the Russo-Persian War of 1826-1828, Argutinsky-Dolgorukov participated in Erivani siege and in a battle (July 5, 1827) with the Persians (under the command of Abbas-Mirza). The battle resulted in complete defeat of the Persian troops.
Starting in 1830 and for 23 years, M.Z. Argutinsky-Dolgorukov participated in military actions against Caucasian highlanders. In 1844, was appointed the army commander in southern Dagestan and in Kubansky and Derbent Counties as major general; in 1847 ? a military governor of Derbent, appointed the commander of army in Caspian Territory in the same year. In 1848, Argutinsky-Dolgorukov commanded the troops that stormed Gergebil and defeated the Lezgins in a battle of Miskindji. The troops under Argutinsky-Dolgorukov's command also seized the fortress of Chokh, settlements of Archi and Shali, successfully fought off Hadji-Murat's invasion in Tabarasan, and marched across the Caucasian Range in winter 1853 into Shamil's detachments' rear who invaded the limits of the Lezgin Border Line. This was the finale of the general's combat career; he was awarded the order of the White Eagle (orden Belogo Orla), order of St. Alexander the Nevsky (orden Sv. Aleksandra Nevskogo), and many others for his courage in combats.
Prince Argutinsky-Dolgorukov was a serious and dangerous rival for the highlanders. The highlanders gave him a nickname of Samursky Wild Boar, by the name of the Samursky detachment that was under the Prince's command.
Moisey Zakharovich Argutinsky-Dolgorukov deceased in 1855. A monument in his honor was erected in Temir-Khan-Shura (now Buynaksk, Dagestan) in 1877.