24 September 2009, 16:00

Prosecutor's Office cancels its refusal to open criminal case against head of "Memorial" under Kadyrov's claim

The Moscow Prosecutor's Office has cancelled its earlier refusal to initiate a criminal case against Oleg Orlov, head of the HRC "Memorial", under the suit lodged by President of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov. This was announced by Andrei Krasnenkov, Kadyrov's advocate.

"I've received a letter from the Moscow Prosecutor's Office saying that the statement of the Moscow GUVD (City Interior Department) to refuse to open a case against Orlov had been cancelled," Mr Krasnenkov told the "Interfax" today and noted that the case was sent for a new check to the inquiry department of the GUVD.

The Moscow GUVD refused to open a criminal case against Orlov under the article of "slander", after Mr Orlov had said that President of Chechnya Ramzan Kadyrov was responsible for the murder of human rights defender Natalia Estemirova. But on September 8, Kadyrov's representative appealed against the GUVD's refusal to the Prosecutor's Office.

All news

April 19, 2019 11:35

April 19, 2019 11:27

April 19, 2019 09:40

  • Bill on judges considered in Georgia amid opposition protests

    The "Georgian Dream" Party decided to take into account, in the draft law on the appointment of judges, only two recommendations of the Venice Commission, treated the rest of them to be political. This displeased the opposition, whose activists held a protest march during the sitting of the parliament.

April 19, 2019 09:35

April 19, 2019 09:33

News archive