01 June 2019, 10:15

Adaptation Commission stands up for convict in attack on Nalchik case

The Militants' Adaptation Commission has decided to support a petition of the convict for the attack on Nalchik, who has been set free from jail and asked to soften his supervision conditions.

The "Caucasian Knot" reported that during the attack on Nalchik on October 13, 2005, 35 law enforcers and military servicemen, 14 civilians, and 92 attackers were killed and perished. On December 23, 2014, five figurants in the case received lifelong sentences; three were released with account of the served term; the rest were sentenced to colony terms from nine to 23 years.

The man who has addressed the above commission was convicted for assaulting the OMON (riot police) unit of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA); he was sentenced to 13 years in a high-security colony and was released in December 2018.

He has asked to help him to adapt to peaceful life, in particular, to lift his travel restriction in order to get a job, the RIA "Kabardino-Balkaria" reports.

"The imposed restriction to move only within a dwelling settlement creates problems with full-fledged adaptation, primarily with employment," said Zalim Kashirokov, Minister for coordinating efforts of executive bodies of Kabardino-Balkaria in preventing extremism.

Earlier, Zaur Betokov, a member of the above adaptation commission, said that as of June 1, 2018, 14 convicts for the attack on Nalchik had been released from jail; of them, three persons addressed the commission for help; and it managed to reinstate one of them at training.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on June 1, 2019 at 05:42 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

All news

December 14, 2019 18:26

December 14, 2019 18:21

December 14, 2019 11:37

December 14, 2019 11:35

December 14, 2019 11:31

  • Blogger Abdurakhmanov treats Nukhanov's case as demonstrative execution

    The criminal prosecution of Islam Nukhanov, who tried to video record rich houses of Kadyrov's retinue, is a "demonstrative punishment" for all the residents of Chechnya, who try to expose the authorities' wrongdoing, Tumso Abdurakhmanov, the well-known blogger, has stated. His subscribers have supported Islam's wife, who is seeking his release.

News archive