Relatives of the victims in the attack on Nalchik committed on October 13, 2005. KBR, Nalchik, October 2012. Photo by Anna Arsenyeva for the "Caucasian Knot"

15 October 2017, 20:25

Relatives of prisoners sentenced for attack on Nalchik emphasize need for reconciliation

Twelve years after the attack on Nalchik, the reconciliation between relatives of the killed law enforcers and militants is needed, emphasize relatives of the people sentenced for the attack. They complained of pressure on their families and violation of the rights of prisoners in penal colonies.

The attack on Nalchik was committed on October 13, 2005. 35 law enforcers and 15 civilians were killed, and other 129 law enforcers and 66 civilians were wounded. In 2014, five defendants were sentenced to life imprisonment, while other three were released. The court sentenced the remaining defendants to different terms of imprisonment.

While speaking of reconciliation between those who fired and those who were fired, Anastasia, a resident of Nalchik, has noted it is a "very difficult question." "How can I forgive the blood of my relatives?.. It is too early to talk about that now," the woman believes.

"I think reconciliation is impossible. The people who brought pain and suffering kept the whole city in fear for three days," said Ekaterina, a local resident.

Albert Shibzukhov, Captain of Justice, was killed in 2009. His father Sufadin Shibzukhov now heads the public organization "Peace to Your Home".

"Am I willing to conduct a dialogue with relatives of the murderers of my son? Perhaps, I would have been willing to forgive a murder on domestic grounds. However, I can never forgive relatives of the terrorists of the atrocities committed," the man told the "Caucasian Knot"correspondent.

Fatima Kudaeva, the mother of prisoner Rasul Kudaev, insists that her son has an alibi. Meanwhile, the woman believes in possibility of the reconciliation between relatives of the killed and wounded people and relatives of the sentenced men.

It should be noted that most of the sentenced men stated they had been involved in the events by fraud.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Natalya Berezhnaya; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2019 17:34

  • Chechen officials neglect US sanctions

    Ruslan Alkhanov, Chechen Minister of Internal Affairs, invited the United States to include all Chechen policemen in the US sanctions list. The Chechen Minister's proposal demonstrates his allegiance to Ramzan Kadyrov, who is also under the US sanctions, local residents suggest. Instagram users ironically commented on the sanctions imposed by the US Department of State.

December 12, 2019 17:26

December 12, 2019 17:09

December 12, 2019 11:33

December 12, 2019 11:29

  • Rights defenders analyze background of the First Chechen War

    The first military campaign in Chechnya had been brewing since 1990, and was carried out without any account of expert estimates; launching a war machine in its worst form cost tens of thousands of human lives, analysts have concluded on the 25th anniversary of the advent of federal troops into Chechnya.

News archive