20 October 2020, 11:13
Batumi hunger-striker resumes his protest
On October 19, in Batumi, five women, who were on hunger strike demanding benefits for the unemployed and deferred payments on bank loans, stopped their protest after feeling worse. In his turn, Giorgi Gorgiladze, who had stopped his hunger strike, has resumed it in front of the building of the Adjara Government.
The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the hunger-strikers demanded a delay in payments on bank loans, which were postponed from April to October 2020, as well as the continuation of payment of GEL 200 to each of those who lost their jobs due to coronavirus and quarantine. The authorities promised to help, but not a single application has been satisfied so far, activists assert.
The first hunger strike was stopped after the rally on October 7, which was attended by more than 200 people, and when the government promised that it would resolve the issues by October 11, said Miya Kedelidze. On October 12, a new rally was held with the participation of bus drivers.
On October 18, the demand to lift the ban on the movement of public transport was satisfied; and from October 19, minibuses (shuttle taxis) and buses resumed operating in Batumi, said Khatuna Beridze, the head of the NGO "Alternative".
According to the "Batumelebi" newspaper, Giorgi Gorgiladze, a resident of Batumi began his hunger strike on October 6 and kept it for eight days. He is seeking from the government of a delay in payments of bank loan and continued payment of benefits to the unemployed.
Author: Beslan Kmuzov; Source: CK correspondent