De-mining expert shows unexploded cluster bomb gathered in the outskirt of Stepanakert after recent shelling attack. Photo: REUTERS/Stringer

14 October 2020, 13:54

Azerbaijan and Armenia report night battles on frontline

At night, Armenian militaries attacked Azerbaijani positions, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defence (MoD) has reported. The death toll of civilians has reached 42, the country's General Prosecutor's Office (GPO) has stated. In their turn, Armenian authorities claimed that Azerbaijani militaries were shelling three sections of the frontline.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that despite the ceasefire regime in force in the Karabakh conflict zone, the parties are regularly exchanging accusations of shelling. On October 13, Artsrun Ovannisyan, the spokesman of the Armenian MoD, stated that the exchange of bodies had been disrupted due to another shelling attack.

For more news on the Karabakh conflict escalation, see: 'Karabakh: a Good War Or a Bad Peace' section.

Azerbaijani militaries continue their intensive attacks in three sections of the frontline, the Armenia's unified information centre has reported. "During the night, relatively stable tensions remained in the Karabakh conflict zone. Artillery battles continued in some areas with varying intensity. In the morning, the enemy resumed shelling, in violation of the humanitarian ceasefire, in the southern, south-eastern, northern and north-eastern directions," the centre has reported in its Facebook page today.

The Azerbaijani MoD has also reported night battles in Nagorno-Karabakh. "At night on October 14, the situation on the Agdere-Agdam and Fizuli-Gadrut-Djebrail directions of the frontline remained tense. At night, units of the Armenian Armed Forces attacked positions of the Azerbaijani Army in some sections of the frontline," the Azerbaijani MoD said in its statement released this morning.

In the morning, the territories of the Terter, Agdam and Agdjabedi Districts were under artillery fire, the MoD has emphasized.

The number of civilian casualties in Azerbaijan has reached 42, the country's General Prosecutor's Office (GPO) has stated in its turn. The number of wounded ones has gone up to 206, said the message posted on September 13 on the GPO's website.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on October 14, 2020 at 08:55 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

All news

November 25, 2020 23:04

  • Lachin residents are afraid to return home from Armenia

    Residents of Lachin (the Armenian name is Berdzor, – note of the "Caucasian Knot") believe it is not safe to live in their city despite the fact that the Russian peacekeepers and the Karabakh police will have control over the city.

November 25, 2020 22:53

November 25, 2020 22:27

November 25, 2020 19:44

November 25, 2020 19:26

  • About 2000 refugees returned to Nagorno-Karabakh over a day

    Russian peacekeepers escorted a convoy of 30 buses with refugees from Yerevan to Stepanakert. The total number of residents of Nagorno-Karabakh who returned home with the support of the Russian peacekeepers has exceeded 11,000, the Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) reports today.

News archive