A Muslim girl. Photo: REUTERS/Brittany Greeson

14 May 2020, 08:28

Rights defenders demand reaction to data on female circumcision in Ingushetia

On May 12, lawyers of the "Legal Initiative" Project sent a request to the Investigating Department for Ingushetia of the Investigating Committee of the Russian Federation (ICRF) asking to check the treatment and diagnostic centre in Magas, whose doctors performed, in June 2019, a crippling surgery on a 9-year-old girl, says the statement posted on the website of the "Legal Initiative".

"A female circumcision is a crippling surgery that has long-term negative consequences for a woman's psychological, sexual and reproductive health; this is a form of gender-based violence," Tatiana Savvina, a senior lawyer of the "Legal Initiative" Project, is quoted in the statement.

The applicant for the "Legal Initiative" is the girl's mother. She and her family, including children, live in Chechnya. Her former husband is a native of Ingushetia, a girl's relative, Seda N., told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

"The spouses don't live together for many years," Seda said. According to her story, the girl's mother did not know about the planned surgery on her daughter. "The circumcision was made without the mother's knowledge. Her husband said that he just took the children to stay with him. On the following day, the elder son, the girl's brother, called his mother and told what they had done to her," the woman said.

As soon as the girl's mother found out what had happened, she immediately submitted applications to both Investigating Departments of the ICRF – for the Chechen Republic and for Ingushetia.

According to Seda, investigators checked the clinic; then the case was transferred to a court in Magas. "The judge constantly delayed the consideration. Neither the investigator, nor the judge sees any crime, or human rights violation; they don't understand that this is a crippling operation. The only thing that, in their opinion, can be indicted here is the fact that it was done without (mother's) permission, and if there had been such permission, then, there was nothing serious," Seda has given the details.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on May 13, 2020 at 09:13 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alena Sadovskaya; Source: CK correspondent

All news

January 17, 2021 12:19

  • Kantemir Balagov invited to film HBO serial

    Kantemir Balagov, a film director from Kabardino-Balkaria will film at the Hollywood the first episodes of the serial "Some of Us", the producer of the serial has stated, comparing Balagov's creative success with the Cinderella story. In his turn, the young filmmaker called the work on this serial his dream.

January 17, 2021 12:03

  • Azerbaijan states at the ECtHR about Armenia's war crimes

    Azerbaijani authorities have applied to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) with a complaint about Armenia's actions during the Karabakh conflict. Baku has accused Yerevan of expelling Azerbaijani population from the region in early 1990s, and of bombing cities in the fall of 2020.

January 17, 2021 11:46

  • Chechen authorities blame USA of information war against Kadyrov

    The blocking of the YouTube channels of the "Akhmat" Football Club (FC) and the "Akhmat" MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Absolute Championship fighting organization is violating the rights of information recipients and is part of a hybrid information war against Ramzan Kadyrov, the Chechen Press Minister has stated.

January 17, 2021 11:32

January 16, 2021 22:14

  • Tbilisi: more than 10 activists detained at protest action

    In Tbilisi, supporters of the Georgian opposition have come out to an action against the results of the parliamentary elections. Policemen detained more than ten persons after they tried to block the road, the organizer of the action has informed.

News archive