Policemen at the courthouse where court session in the Sautieva's case took place, Nalchik, August 1, 2019. Photo by Lyudmila Maratova for the Caucasian Knot

02 August 2019, 08:33

Zarifa Sautieva complains to court about custody conditions in SIZO

Zarifa Sautieva, an Ingush activist, arrested within the case of violence at a rally in Magas, said at the trial about severe custody conditions at the SIZO (pre-trial prison).

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on July 12, Zarifa Sautieva was detained, and since July 15, she has been kept under arrest in Nalchik. On July 20, the defence of Zarifa Sautieva filed a complaint about her arrest. On August 1, the SC of the KBR upheld the decision to keep Zarifa Sautieva in custody.

Zarifa Sautieva, the deputy director of the Memorial complex to victims of repression in Nazran, took part in rallies against the change of the border with Chechnya. After the October protests, she claimed she had been dismissed for political reasons.

On August 1, at the court session, Sautieva made an emotional complaint about hard life in the SIZO. "They say it's an exemplary SIZO, but, nevertheless, the custody conditions are very harsh. They hardly found a single non-smoking woman in the whole facility to put me into her cell," said the activist.

Magomed Abubakarov, an advocate, has treated the SC's decision as "completely unjustified." "There is not a single argument confirming Sautieva's guilt in the case files. The phrases, on which a linguistic examination was made, fail to indicate that Sautieva called for the use of force against 'Rosgvardia' (Russian National Guard). She is a blogger; she came there to cover the event live. On the contrary, in the video, she calls 'idiots' those who violate the order," Mr Abubakarov has stated.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on August 1, 2019 at 08:39 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Lyudmila Maratova, Umar Yovloi; Source: CK correspondents

All news

December 05, 2019 21:36

December 05, 2019 21:29

December 05, 2019 18:37

December 05, 2019 18:17

December 05, 2019 18:05

  • "Roskomnadzor" draws up two new protocols against HRC "Memorial"

    Following the FSB Department for Ingushetia, an individual filed a complaint to the "Roskomnadzor" (Russian Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media) about the fact that the materials of the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial" were released without a "foreign agent" mark. As a result, the number of administrative protocols drawn up against Alexander Cherkasov, the chairman of the HRC's Council, reached eight.

News archive