Aneta Gadieva (on the left) and Anastasia Mingalimova. Photo by Inna Getmanets

24 August 2020, 23:05

Exhibition about Beslan terror act impresses Volgograd residents

In Volgograd, the NGO "Mothers of Beslan" presented an exhibition of photographs and paintings about the seizure of hostages by terrorists in a Beslan school. The Beslan tragedy still terrifies people even 16 years later, visitors of the exhibition note.

On September 1, 2004, terrorists took 1128 hostages at school No. 1 in Beslan. As a result, 334 people were killed, including 186 children, and other 810 people were injured.

The events of the project "To Remember in Order to Live" are being held in seven regions of Russia, including North Ossetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Dagestan, Karachay-Cherkessia, Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Volgograd, the Centre for Culture and Youth Policy reports.

"The cities for holding the exhibitions were selected not by chance: all those cities suffered from terror acts," said Anastasia Mingalimova, the director of the Centre for Culture and Youth Policy.

Aneta Gadieva, the co-chair of the "Mothers of Beslan" Committee, reports that five out of the eleven members of the "Mothers of Beslan" Committee who brought the exhibition to Volgograd were taken hostages in Beslan: at that time, they were two or three years old.

In the exhibition guest book, residents of Volgograd note that the event helps people unite against terrorism. "People around the world who have honour and conscience should unite and actively fight against terrorism, extremism, and nationalism," wrote Richard Danakari, the head of the regional public organization "Nidj".

Aneta Gadieva believes that the law enforcement bodies had the information about the impending terror act, but did not take any measures to prevent it. According to the co-chair of the "Mothers of Beslan" Committee, there are still unanswered questions concerning the use of flame-blast weapon and tanks during the assault of the Beslan school seized by the terrorists.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on August 24, 2020 at 05:31 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Tatyana Filimonova; Source: CK correspondent

All news

October 26, 2020 18:23

  • Court arrests two men taken by Chechen law enforcers away from Rostov-on-Don

    Adam Dotmerzaev and Musa Ashakhanov, residents of the Chechen village of Samashki, who, according to human rights defenders, had been detained and tortured by law enforcers in Rostov-on-Don, were arrested for two months on the charge of involvement in the ranks of militants, the Achkhoi-Martan District Court reports.

October 26, 2020 18:11

October 26, 2020 14:02

  • Paul Goble: shelling of peaceful cities aggravates Karabakh conflict

    Artillery and missile strikes on Azerbaijani cities are caused by the desire to provoke retaliatory measures by Baku, which will force Moscow to intervene and provide support to Yerevan, but they only strengthened the Azerbaijan's readiness to recapture the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, Paul Goble, a former adviser to the US Secretary of State, told the "Caucasian Knot".

October 26, 2020 13:43

October 26, 2020 13:29

News archive