Residents of the temporary tent camp in Kullar (Dagestan). Screenshot from the Caucasian Knot video

24 June 2020, 08:34

Over 250 Azerbaijanis return home from Dagestan

252 Azerbaijani citizens, who could not leave Dagestan after the border closure because of coronavirus, have returned to their homeland, the country's operative headquarters has informed. The group included the majority of those who had been waiting at the border since April, one of the above Azerbaijanis has confirmed.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that for the citizens of Azerbaijan, who could not get home due to the border closure, a temporary accommodation centre (TAC) in the form of a tent camp was set up on the border of the Derbent and Magaramkent Districts.

On June 15, Azerbaijani citizens staged a protest rally, which grew into clashes with law enforcers. Ten Azerbaijanis and four law enforcers were injured.

On June 23, a total of 252 Azerbaijani citizens returned home through the "Samur" border checkpoint, a source from the operative headquarters under the Cabinet of Ministers told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. In accordance with the requirements of the "special quarantine regime", all of them were placed in quarantine centres, he said.

The information about the return of over 250 people to their homeland from Dagestan was confirmed to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent by Elshan Mukhtarov, a former resident of the tent camp in Kullar, who returned home as part of this group.

"Today, the largest group has arrived. Since May 18, 2020, some 100-130 people were brought from Kullar once a week. Last week there were 155 such persons, and there are 252 of us now. The main thing is that the list of this group was compiled fairly and included most of those who had been waiting in Dagestan since April," Mr Mukhtarov has stated.

According to his story, now, about 250-300 people remain in Kullar.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on June 23, 2020 at 08:52 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

All news

August 06, 2020 13:12

  • Tofig Yagublu accuses court of fulfilling political order

    At his trial at the Nizami District Court, Tofig Yagublu, a member of the National Council of Democratic Forces (NCDF) and of the "Musavat" Party, declared his innocence. The court rejected all the defence's motions. Mr Yagublu has treated the trial as biased and "fulfilling the political order" of the Azerbaijani leadership.

August 06, 2020 11:16

August 06, 2020 11:04

  • Makitov family's lawyer treats lawsuit against power body as precedent

    The court has postponed for almost two months the consideration of the lawsuit lodged by the mother and brother of Khusei Makitov, the murdered resident of Kabardino-Balkaria, against the FSB, demanding compensation for the moral harm. The FSB is responsible for the actions of its employees, said the advocate, referring to a similar decision of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in the case of the policeman named Evsyukov.

August 06, 2020 10:47

  • AI condemns Azerbaijani authorities for arresting activists

    The international human rights organization "Amnesty International" (AI) has expressed its concern about persecutions of political oppositionists in Azerbaijan. A wave of arrests following the July 15 rally in Baku could lead to the disappearance of an already highly fragmented independent opposition, the AI said in its statement.

August 06, 2020 08:40

  • Opponents of Amulsar gold mining restart protest

    Local residents protesting against gold mining have demanded from Armenian authorities to revise the impact of the mine on the environment; about 200 activists gathered in the outskirts of Mount Amulsar, protesters have informed.

News archive