Talish residents evacuated to Alashan. Photo by Alvard Grigoryan for the Caucasian Knot

09 November 2019, 12:19

Forced migrants return to pre-border village of Talish

In Nagorno-Karabakh, 42 families returned to the pre-border village of Talish, restored after the war, from the city of Alashan, where they lived temporarily. In Talish, the problems with electricity, water supply and communication have been solved; a new school was opened.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that in December 2016, the authorities of Nagorno-Karabakh, jointly with the "Ayastan" All-Armenian Fund, began reconstructing the Talish village, whose residents were evacuated during the April 2016 war.

Families began returning to Talish in early November; and as of November 8, 42 families are living in the village, Vilen Petrosyan, a former head of the community, a resident of the Talish village, told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Mr Petrosyan has noted that all the families living in Talish have been provided with housing; the problems of electricity and water supplies, and mobile communication, the Internet were resolved in the village, three trading outlets have been opened. A regular bus is transporting passengers from the village to the Martakert district centre and back twice a week.

Tatiana Mezhunts, the principal of the Talish village school, told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that the school began fully working on November 4; now, 26 children are studying in it.

The school principal has noted that "everyone is happy to return to the native village, but the fear for safety still remains."

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 9, 2019 at 03:21 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alvard Grigoryan; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2019 17:34

  • Chechen officials neglect US sanctions

    Ruslan Alkhanov, Chechen Minister of Internal Affairs, invited the United States to include all Chechen policemen in the US sanctions list. The Chechen Minister's proposal demonstrates his allegiance to Ramzan Kadyrov, who is also under the US sanctions, local residents suggest. Instagram users ironically commented on the sanctions imposed by the US Department of State.

December 12, 2019 17:26

December 12, 2019 17:09

December 12, 2019 11:33

December 12, 2019 11:29

  • Rights defenders analyze background of the First Chechen War

    The first military campaign in Chechnya had been brewing since 1990, and was carried out without any account of expert estimates; launching a war machine in its worst form cost tens of thousands of human lives, analysts have concluded on the 25th anniversary of the advent of federal troops into Chechnya.

News archive