Zarifa Sautieva. Photo: press service of the Association of Memory Museums, http://memorymuseums.ru/seminar/2017

10 September 2019, 14:39

Defence treats extension of Zarifa Sautieva's arrest as unjustified

Prosecutors failed to sufficiently substantiate their version that after leaving the SIZO (pre-trial prison), Zarifa Sautieva may hide from investigators. This opinion was voiced by an advocate when he commented on the court's decision to extend the arrest of the Ingush activist.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Zarifa Sautieva was detained on July 12. Since July 15, she was under arrest in Nalchik. On July 20, the defence appealed against the activist's arrest, but on August 1, the Supreme Court (SC) of Kabardino-Balkaria upheld the decision on the detention of Zarifa Sautieva. She filed a complaint to the court about the detention conditions at the SIZO.

Zarifa Sautieva, the deputy director of the Memorial complex to victims of repression in Nazran, took part in rallies against the change of the border with Chechnya. After the October protests, she claimed she had been dismissed for political reasons.

On September 9, in Yessentuki, the court pronounced the decision to extend until December 11 the detention of Zarifa Sautieva, who was arrested in the case on use of violence at a rally in Magas.

Advocate Bilan Dzugaev told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that in their arguments, the prosecutors stated that Zarifa Sautieva could flee and "use her channels to influence the people of Ingushetia." However, no evidence has been given, Bilan Dzugaev reports.

Formally, Zarifa Sautieva is accused of using violence against policemen, while in fact, she is being prosecuted for participating in protests, "as if it were a crime," the advocate said. According to the prosecutors, Zarifa Sautieva "disliked Ingush leader Evkurov, she showed her dislike in a very cynical way, and when she is released, she will again engage the population of the republic in political activity," notes advocate Bilan Dzugaev.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on September 10, 2019 at 08:15 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Lyudmila Maratova; Source: CK correspondent

All news

September 18, 2019 19:01

  • NAC reports details of CTO in Chegem

    In Chegem, two persons who were plotting a terror act, were killed a shootout, while no law enforcers were injured, the National Antiterrorist Committee (NAC) reported. The killed suspects were members of a banned terrorist organization, reported a source from the law enforcement bodies of Kabardino-Balkaria.

September 18, 2019 18:58

September 18, 2019 18:46

  • NAC reports prevention of terror act in Dagestan

    A detained supporter of the "Islamic State" (IS), a terrorist organization banned in the Russian Federation, manufactured a powerful improvised explosive device (IED) while he was plotting a terror act in Dagestan, the National Antiterrorist Committee (NAC) reported.

September 18, 2019 16:17

  • Akhmat Kadyrov Foundation's balance exceeds Chechnya's reserve by over 8 times

    In 2018, the Akhmat Kadyrov Foundation increased its assets due to donations up to 3.68 billion roubles. The amount exceeds the official reserve funds of the Chechen Republic by more than 8 times. Meanwhile, the Akhmat Kadyrov Foundation, which owns large Chechen enterprises, showed zero income from entrepreneurial activity.

September 18, 2019 16:12

  • "Musavat" Party activist Abulfaz Sadygbeili interrogated in Azerbaijan

    On September 17, Abulfaz Sadygbeili, an activist of the "Musavat" Party, serving his suspended sentence, was summoned and interrogated at the General Prosecutor's Office of Azerbaijan for two hours as a witness. Abulfaz Sadygbeili compared the situation with the case earlier instituted against him when he was first questioned as a witness, then charged and arrested.

News archive