17 October 2005, 10:54

Official killed civilian numbers lower

Nine civilians were killed during the rebel attack on Nalchik according to more accurate information, Jamilia Khagarov, press secretary for the president of Kabardino-Balkaria, said. Earlier, there were reports about 12 killed civilians.

"The matter is that three military men were in civilian clothes. Therefore, they were first thought to be ordinary citizens," said Ms Khagarov referring to forensic examination information. Thus, according to her, there are only nine civilians among the victims. Seven of them have been identified by their relatives, and two are not yet identified, RIA Novosti reports.

A formation of several hundred people attacked buildings of law enforcement and security agencies in the capital of Kabardino-Balkaria at 9.00 am on 13 October, Caucasian Knot's correspondent reported earlier. Combats were under way in all districts of the city.

All news

September 23, 2021 23:04

September 23, 2021 22:58

September 23, 2021 12:23

  • US Congress demands from Baku to release Armenian prisoners

    The US Congress has passed an amendment demanding an immediate release of all Armenian prisoners of war (POWs) and civilians kept by Azerbaijan, as well as conducting an inquiry into the use of American technologies in Turkish drones that were used during the 2020 escalation of the Karabakh conflict.

September 23, 2021 12:18

  • Magdi Kamalov confirms innocence of those accused of murdering his brother-journalist

    Magdi, a brother of Khadjimurad Kamalov, the founder of the Dagestani "Chernovik" (Draft) weekly, who was killed in March 2018, had earlier declared the innocence of the defendants, and now has confirmed his position at the court session. He has stated that there was no conflict of his brother with Shamil Isaev, a former republic's Vice-Premier, who was treated as the customer of the murder.

September 23, 2021 12:08

News archive