Russia and Georgia: ways of rapprochement on Abkhazia and South Ossetia 11 topics и One message

Dec 31, 2014 16:20

administrator
77 messages

The Ukrainian crisis has also launched new integration processes in Southern Caucasus. Russia signed a new cooperation treaty with Abkhazia, and is drafting a new integration treaty with South Ossetia. Georgia, which considers Abkhazia and South Ossetia its illegally occupied territories, failed to find any contact points with the self-proclaimed states. Is any Russian-Georgian dialogue possible in this situation?The user with the nick LeningradSKY suggests starting with economic cooperation: "O-oh, I'm sick and tired of repeating: a mutually profitable business and economic integration, etc. is the only way for further integrations. Start with the railways... Well, let them cut still another tunnel somewhere to northern slopes under the slogan: 'One seasonal tourist voucher to the best alpine ski resorts of Northern and Southern Caucasus!' Let them finally start building their alpine Switzerland with Austria."The user xevisberi sees the way for normalizing the Russian-Georgian relations only through recognition of independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia: "Bergman, I'm all the time writing: if we want good Russian-Georgian relations, we should do what Russia frankly tells us: to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia; otherwise we should admit that the relations will remain the same as of Greece with Turkey, of the USA with Cuba, or of Serbia with Albania. Without the recognition all out statements and motions will be fruitless."The user with the nick guran believes that the new Russian-Abkhaz treaty is in fact an implementation in Abkhazia of the Crimean scenario, and incorporation of Abkhazia into the Russian Federation: "Berg, you should have at least a bit of compassion to the Georgian power – if Russian and Abkhazia sign the treaty in the form as it is now – it will mean an actual incorporation of Abkhazia into the Russian Federation on the terms of association; we cannot otherwise interpret such provisions of the treaty like elimination of the internal border and creation of the common external one; creation of the joint army and harmonisation of the Abkhaz and Russian legislation. Then, Russian business will arrive in Abkhazia, and the Krasnodar Riviera will extend to the Abkhazian seashore. This is, in fact, a Crimean variant, but without landing operations and noise in media; but Tbilisi has to react somehow, like in the anecdote: 'Well, Sir, do at least something! But what, damn it, Can I do!? Well, at least say good-bye."The majority of the votes were cast for the user with the nick АLIK, who believes that Russia, having recognized the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, has played a positive role, including also for Georgia, but now it is time for Georgia to fix relations with its "occupied territories":"I don't know about the recognition, but, I think, sooner or later, there will be some contact of officials of South Ossetia and Abkhazia with their counterparts in Georgia without any mediators. It is obvious, in the end, that the territory of former Georgia have become almost the most peaceful area after Russian had recognized these two republics. In fact, Georgia has benefited from this, to say nothing about the republics as such. It looks like Americans are also grown cooler to Georgians, to be more exact, they have more global directions. Same as Russia – too much headache apart from these young republics. They should use the moment and set up relations. This is my naïve and optimistic opinion."

Find Caucasian Knot partners: