15 January 2009, 19:00
ECtHR finds Russia guilty of disappearance of Ingush resident in 2004
Today, the European Court on Human Rights has passed a decision on the case of Adam Medov, a resident of Karabulak, who disappeared in June 2004 (then he temporarily lived in Nazran). Adam Medov's wife was the applicant. According to the decision of European Court, Russia was found responsible for Medov's disappearance and obliged to pay 35,000 euros of compensation to his relatives.
This is the first decision on the case about disappearance in Ingushetia after the conflict passed over from Chechnya to the territory of this republic, as Cyril Koroteev, a lawyer of the HRC "Memorial", explained the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.
On June 15, 2004, Adam Medov left his home in his personal car and never returned. At night of June 16 he managed to telephone his brother Magomed Medov and tell him that his car was out of order. Suddenly, the communication broke. In the evening of June 17 the Medovs were informed that Adam was in the Sunzha ROVD. Soon, some Adam's relatives arrived at the ROVD, where they were told that Adam was no longer among the detainees.
An employee of the ROVD told Medov's relatives that Adam was found roped up in the luggage compartment of the car detained by road police employees at the block-post "Kavkaz-1" between Ingushetia and Chechnya.
The people who were in the car presented IDs of FSB (Federal Security Bureau) officers. The head of the Sunzha ROVD telephoned to the FSB Department for Ingushetia, which confirmed that the persons in the car were really employees of the FSB and acted on legal grounds.
The FSB agents took Medov away into the territory of Chechnya. Since then, he disappeared.
Author: Anastasia Kirilenko; Source: CK correspondent