12 June 2008, 15:09

Residents of Chechnya rally in front of "Vostok" battalion base

A mass protest action with some 600-1000 participants (by different sources) was held on June 11 in the Gudermes District of Chechnya, near the disposition of the special-purpose battalion "Vostok" (East) of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian General Staff (known as GRU).

The action was organized by relatives of kidnapped and missing residents of the Republic, who believe that "Vostok" special fighters are behind all these crimes. The protesters, most of them were women, arranged their rally right in front of the entrance to the territory of the military base.

Many of them were holding photos of their kidnapped and missing relatives and posters with slogans as follows: "Murderers Must Be Made Responsible!", "Yamadaev's Soldiers are Enemies of Chechen People!", "Yamadaev Brothers Are Killers of Our Sons!"

"The women who stood in front of the 'Vostok' base were crying and damning these monsters. And when we left, we placed all the posters on the ground, in front of the entrance to the base. Let them know how they are hated by their own people," one of the participants of the rally told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Meanwhile, one of the "Vostok" militaries told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that the rally held in front of the battalion base was "nothing but an operetta staging and a cheap performance." In his opinion, the rally was organized by Magomed Khanbiev, one of former main Chechen militants, who "once had been the Minister of Defence of Ichkeria, and now switched over to Ramzan Kadyrov and tries to look like a normal person."

Author: Muslim Ibragimov, CK correspondent;

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

February 21, 2017 09:23

February 21, 2017 02:56

  • Art Association "Portal" in Vladikavkaz states threat of closure

    The Creative Association "Portal", established in place of the frozen construction site of the National Museum of North Ossetia, is under threat of closure, said the organizers of the project. The head of the republic Vyacheslav Bitarov offered to leave the "Portal" at the already popular site of the museum, or to give it another premise.

February 21, 2017 01:14

  • ECtHR accepts Kobaliya’s complaints to consideration

    The complaints of Temur Kobaliya, the former head of the "Youth Consulting and Training Centre", about his administrative harassment in connection with the law on "Foreign Agents", was taken on February 20 to consideration by the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

February 20, 2017 20:09

  • Donors raise nearly 1.5 million roubles for Ingush family’s house

    The authors of the project "House with windows into happiness" managed to raise nearly 1.5 million roubles to build a house for a large Djandigov family. Most of the funds – 950,000 roubles – were raised by means of crowdfunding, which was praised by the "Solidarity" Charity Fund as highly efficient.

February 20, 2017 19:59

News archive