Batumi, the capital of Adjaria. Photo by Dmitry Anatolyevich Mottl https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Batumi#/media/File:Batumi_sunset_2.jpg

20 October 2020, 11:13

Batumi hunger-striker resumes his protest

On October 19, in Batumi, five women, who were on hunger strike demanding benefits for the unemployed and deferred payments on bank loans, stopped their protest after feeling worse. In his turn, Giorgi Gorgiladze, who had stopped his hunger strike, has resumed it in front of the building of the Adjara Government.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that the hunger-strikers demanded a delay in payments on bank loans, which were postponed from April to October 2020, as well as the continuation of payment of GEL 200 to each of those who lost their jobs due to coronavirus and quarantine. The authorities promised to help, but not a single application has been satisfied so far, activists assert.

The first hunger strike was stopped after the rally on October 7, which was attended by more than 200 people, and when the government promised that it would resolve the issues by October 11, said Miya Kedelidze. On October 12, a new rally was held with the participation of bus drivers.

On October 18, the demand to lift the ban on the movement of public transport was satisfied; and from October 19, minibuses (shuttle taxis) and buses resumed operating in Batumi, said Khatuna Beridze, the head of the NGO "Alternative".

According to the "Batumelebi" newspaper, Giorgi Gorgiladze, a resident of Batumi began his hunger strike on October 6 and kept it for eight days. He is seeking from the government of a delay in payments of bank loan and continued payment of benefits to the unemployed.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on October 20, 2020 at 06:49 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Beslan Kmuzov; Source: CK correspondent

All news

November 29, 2020 12:05

  • Armenian conscripts' parents demand to withdraw troops from Karabakh

    Regular soldiers should be returned from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia; otherwise they may become victims of acts of sabotage or be captured, protesters in Yerevan have stated. The Armenian Defence Minister has ruled out the troop withdrawal, but promised to send soldiers to vacations.

November 29, 2020 11:48

  • Law enforcers conduct searches near right defenders' in Karabulak

    Law enforcers have cordoned off an area in the city of Karabulak, where the office of the human rights organization "Mashr" is located, and searched several houses, sources have reported. The operation was accompanied by interruptions of mobile internet throughout Ingushetia.

November 28, 2020 21:09

  • Chechnya ranked third in North Caucasus by COVID-19 deaths increase

    Over the past 24 hours, 23 patients died from coronavirus in the North-Caucasian Federal District (NCFD): 10 people died in Dagestan; seven – in the Stavropol Territory. Chechnya is in the third place; three deaths were recorded there for the last 24 hours. These three regions are still in the lead in the NCFD in terms of the daily increase in the number of infected persons.

November 28, 2020 18:22

  • COVID-19 restrictions in force in Georgia

    From November 28 to January 31, 2021, mass events are prohibited in Georgia; catering facilities have been transferred to a remote operation mode; and the movement of public transport and pedestrians is limited.

November 28, 2020 17:51

  • School work resumed in Stepanakert

    Russian peacemakers have demined the territory of one of the schools in Stepanakert; they have also resumed the heat and electricity supplies thereto, after which the school has resumed its work. During the last 24 hours, 2115 refugees returned to Nagorno-Karabakh.

News archive