Handcuffs. Photo: Elena Sideok, Yuga.ru

20 November 2019, 08:18

Maisigov's liberation encourages rights defenders

Rashid Maisigov, a "Fortanga" journalist, accused of drug storage, has been released from the SIZO (pre-trial prison). The court's decision to change his freedom restriction measure allows hoping that persecutions of Ingush protesters will end, Rashid himself has stated.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Rashid Maisigov was detained on July 12, 2019, after searches in his house, where law enforcers found a package with some white powder. The journalist was accused of a large-scale drug storing.

On November 19, the defence of the "Fortanga" journalist convinced the appeal instance to transfer him to house arrest.

Maisigov has been released from the SIZO; he is at home, Magomed Aushev, an advocate, told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The release of Maisigov from custody is a correct decision, said Magomed Mutsolgov, the head of the "Mashr" human rights organization.

"He, like all the leaders and participants of the Ingush people's protests, is a victim of repressions," Mr Mutsolgov told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent, adding that the today's decision gives hope that the rest of the protesters will be released from custody and subsequently acquitted.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 19, 2019 at 09:09 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Magomed Tuayev; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2019 17:34

  • Chechen officials neglect US sanctions

    Ruslan Alkhanov, Chechen Minister of Internal Affairs, invited the United States to include all Chechen policemen in the US sanctions list. The Chechen Minister's proposal demonstrates his allegiance to Ramzan Kadyrov, who is also under the US sanctions, local residents suggest. Instagram users ironically commented on the sanctions imposed by the US Department of State.

December 12, 2019 17:26

December 12, 2019 17:09

December 12, 2019 11:33

December 12, 2019 11:29

  • Rights defenders analyze background of the First Chechen War

    The first military campaign in Chechnya had been brewing since 1990, and was carried out without any account of expert estimates; launching a war machine in its worst form cost tens of thousands of human lives, analysts have concluded on the 25th anniversary of the advent of federal troops into Chechnya.

News archive