Incident in the Petropavlovsk Highway in Grozny. Photo: press service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs for Chechnya.

09 September 2019, 19:15

Law enforcers report details of shootout in Grozny

The 18-year-old resident of Chechnya, shot dead today in a shootout with policemen, had been put on the wanted list after hijacking a car and stealing a pistol from his relative, the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) has informed. The young man had planned to attack law enforcers, the director of the ChGTRK said, but the Investigating Committee of the Russian Federation (ICRF) has not yet confirmed this version.

This morning, in the Petropavlovsk Highway in Grozny, traffic police (known as GIBDD) inspectors "following the received orientation message" stopped a Ford car, driven by Usman Aziev, born in 2001, a native of the Nadterechny District. According to law enforcers, the driver fired a pistol shot at policemen and was killed by return fire.

Usman Aziev, 18, who was shot dead this morning in the Leninsky District, was wanted for hijacking a car and stealing a pistol from his relative-law enforcer, a source from the Chechen MIA told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The assassinated young man had planned to attack law enforcers, said Akhmed Dudaev, an assistant to the head of Chechnya and director of the "Grozny" Chechen State TV and Radio Company (ChGTRK). However, the ICRF has not yet confirmed this version.

According to Dudaev, no one also suffered in the shootout, the ChGTRK reports on its website.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on September 9, 2019 at 01:36 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Source: CK correspondent

All news

January 16, 2021 11:27

  • Rights defenders urge ECtHR to protect Dagestani woman from domestic violence

    An urgent request has been sent to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) with a request to oblige Russian authorities to ensure security of the safety of Gulli Kazanbieva, a resident of Dagestan, after her ex-husband convicted of beating her up will be back at large, the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial" has informed.

January 16, 2021 11:25

January 15, 2021 23:02

  • 34,000 people left homeless in Nagorno-Karabakh

    The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh has been followed by a humanitarian crisis, and a programme for the resettlement of refugees has been launched in the region, announces Mane Tandilyan, Minister for Employment, Social and Migration Issues of Nagorno-Karabakh. 8000-10,000 premises are needed to accommodate people who lost their homes as a result of the war.

January 15, 2021 22:54

January 15, 2021 21:57

News archive