Pavel Grib in the courtroom. Photo by Konstantin Volgin for the Caucasian Knot

22 December 2018, 12:00

Court refuses to release Grib from SIZO for health reasons

The North-Caucasian District Military Court in Rostov-on-Don has refused to change the freedom restraint of Pavel Grib, a Ukrainian citizen, for house arrest, despite his complaints about health problems.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on December 12, at a session of the North-Caucasian District Military Court, Pavel Grib, who had been accused of inciting his acquaintance, a female resident of the Krasnodar Territory, to commit a terror act, felt badly. Ambulance staff said they needed to examine him.

According to the father of Pavel Grib, his son is a disabled man and must regularly take medicines. On September 27, the spokesperson for the Consulate of Ukraine claimed he had not been allowed to visit Pavel Grib, and on October 12, Ukrainian doctors were also not allowed to visit the defendant. After that, Ukraine accused Russia of intentionally harming the health state of Pavel Grib.

The next court session on Grib's case took place on December 21, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.

Marina Dubrovina, Pavel Grib's advocate, asked to attach the medical conclusion, made by Vasyl Pritula, Doctor of Medical Sciences from Ukraine, based on the outcomes of his examination of the defendant in Rostov-on-Don, to the case files. His conclusion states that "keeping Grib in SIZO (pre-trial prison), given his health condition, threatens with the appearance of internal bleeding."

In this regard, Ms Dubrovina asked the court to transfer Pavel Grib to house arrest.

The panel of judges has ruled to add the above medical conclusion to the case files, but refused to change Pavel Grib's freedom restraint measure, considering that "there is no objective data to do it."

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on December 22, 2018 at 03:48 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Konstantin Volgin; Source: CK correspondent

All news

September 21, 2019 22:04

September 21, 2019 21:56

  • Journalists beaten up in Ingushetia assess prospects of their complaints to ECtHR

    The journalists and rights defenders, who suffered, when their minibus of the Joint Mobile Group (JMG) was attacked in Ingushetia in 2016, have complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), indicating violations of five articles of the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR). However, the victims have no hope that their complaints to the ECtHR will contribute to the resumption of an effective investigation of their case in Russia.

September 21, 2019 15:21

  • Residents of South Ossetia mark Republic Day with parade and mass festivities

    On the occasion of the Republic Day in South Ossetia, four days-off were announced, September 20-23. According to the tradition, residents of Tskhinvali, the capital, came to the military parade and festivities, although not everyone knows the meaning of the holiday. In 1990, with the proclamation of the South Ossetian Republic, the process of the collapse of the USSR began, said Mamuka Areshidze, a Georgian political analyst.

September 21, 2019 15:17

September 21, 2019 11:38

News archive