Minister of Defence of Armenia joins opening of tank unit in the near-front zone. Photo: https://mod.gov.az/ru/foto-arhiv-045/?gid=25099

07 December 2018, 13:36

Azerbaijan claims 25 shelling attacks during 24 hours

Today, the Azerbaijani side of the Karabakh conflict has claimed shelling of its positions from the territories that Azerbaijani considers as its occupied ones. However, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) of the country did not report any violations of the truce on its border with Armenia.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on December 6, Azerbaijan accused Armenia of machine gun shelling, counting 26 attacks in the conflict zone committed within the past 24 hours. In its turn, the MoD of Nagorno-Karabakh reported 120 shelling attacks from the Azerbaijani side during the period from November 25 to December 1.

"Within the last 24 hours, the units of the Armenian Armed Forces violated the ceasefire regime in different sections of the frontline for 25 times," the website of the MoD of Azerbaijan has reported today.

According to the MoD, positions of the Azerbaijani Army were shelled from areas located near the villages of Nemirli, Garagashly, Kengerli and Yusifdjanly of the Agdam District; Gobu Dilagarda, Karvend and Goradiz of the Fizuli region; and from the nameless heights of the Goranboy, Terter and Khodjavand Districts.

The truce announced by the parties to the Karabakh conflict after its escalation in April 2016 failed to stop the confrontation. For more than two years, the conflict zone is exposed to everyday shelling, says the infographic "Karabakh after the truce: a two-year war" posted on the "Caucasian Knot".

The Azerbaijani Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has expressed dissatisfaction with the visit of Bako Saakyan, the Nagorno-Karabakh President, to Moscow on November 24, stating that this visit could lead to unpredictable developments around the Karabakh conflict.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on December 7, 2018 at 09:05 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

All news

December 12, 2018 18:17

December 12, 2018 18:13

  • Dagestani authorities ignore request of Avars from Kenkhi village

    The request of the Avar residents of the village of Kenkhi, Sharoi District of Chechnya, to build a road connecting the village with the Tsumadin District of Dagestan, remained unanswered. This year, roads were built only in the village itself; but there is no road to the border of Dagestan, said Ramazan Djalaldinov, a resident of the village.

December 12, 2018 15:56

December 12, 2018 15:50

December 12, 2018 15:48

  • HRC reminds Putin: rights of Chechens Tsetiev brothers and Razhapov violated

    Tsetiev brothers and Khamid Razhapov, natives of Chechnya, freed from the charges of attacking rescuers, had been under criminal prosecution for several years. This was announced by Mikhail Fedotov, the head of the Human Rights Council (HRC), at a meeting with President Vladimir Putin. Mikhail Fedotov proposed to create a group to assess the legality of court's decisions.

News archive