Russia's Embassy to Egypt. Photo: press service of the Embassy of Russia to Egypt, https://egypt-hrg.ru/embassies-and-consulates.html

05 December 2018, 21:26

Relatives of missing Ingushes complain about inaction of Russian diplomats in Egypt

Employees of the Russian Embassy in Egypt fail to take steps to search for the Ingush students who disappeared after being detained in Cairo in August, their relatives have stated in Moscow. After contacting the president's reception office, relatives are planning to search for them through international organizations.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on November 7, it became known that five students from Ingushetia were detained during their stay in Egypt. Their whereabouts remain unknown for almost three months already, a sister of one of them has stated. On December 5, relatives of the missing residents of Ingushetia handed over an appeal to the Embassy of Egypt to Russia demanding to help in searching for the young people, and held a solo picket at the Embassy demanding the return their sons home.

Today, the relatives also tried to seek help from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), but the Ministry's officials did not accept their appeal. According to the officials, similar appeals had been registered earlier, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports from the venue.

Having received a recommendation to submit an application about the inaction of the Russian Embassy to Egypt to the reception office of the Russian President, five relatives of the missing young people went there, but the reception office was closed – its working day ends at 4:30 p.m. Moscow time.

"An employee of the reception office invited us to come there tomorrow and suggested to write a statement about the inaction of the staff of the Russian Embassy to Egypt. He wondered why Russian citizens had not yet been found. According to his story, this is an outright arbitrariness," said Djannat Dugieva, one of the relatives.

Another relative of the missing Ingush students has confirmed that on December 6, they are going to submit an application to the reception office of the President. "This is one of our last steps prior to addressing international organizations," the woman has assured.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on December 5, 2018 at 05:34 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Oleg Krasnov; Source: CK correspondent

All news

December 12, 2018 18:17

December 12, 2018 18:13

  • Dagestani authorities ignore request of Avars from Kenkhi village

    The request of the Avar residents of the village of Kenkhi, Sharoi District of Chechnya, to build a road connecting the village with the Tsumadin District of Dagestan, remained unanswered. This year, roads were built only in the village itself; but there is no road to the border of Dagestan, said Ramazan Djalaldinov, a resident of the village.

December 12, 2018 15:56

December 12, 2018 15:50

December 12, 2018 15:48

  • HRC reminds Putin: rights of Chechens Tsetiev brothers and Razhapov violated

    Tsetiev brothers and Khamid Razhapov, natives of Chechnya, freed from the charges of attacking rescuers, had been under criminal prosecution for several years. This was announced by Mikhail Fedotov, the head of the Human Rights Council (HRC), at a meeting with President Vladimir Putin. Mikhail Fedotov proposed to create a group to assess the legality of court's decisions.

News archive