Law enforcers in Grozny streets. Photo: Radio Marsho (RFE/RL)

27 August 2018, 18:40

Residents of Chechnya tell about new wave of teens' detentions

After the recent series of attacks on policemen, law enforcers took teenagers straight from the streets and conducted many-hours-long interrogations of them, residents of the Shali District of Chechnya have reported. According to their estimates, from 150 to 200 people were detained.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on August 20, attacks were committed on law enforcers in the Shali District of Chechnya and in Grozny. According to law enforcers, four out of five militants were killed, and the fifth one was wounded in an attempt of self-explosion and later died in hospital. On August 21, the resources supporting the "Islamic State" (IS), a terrorist organization, banned in Russia by the court, posted a video with the oath of the teens-participants in the attacks on law enforcers.

On August 22, in the Shali District, law enforcers massively detained relatives and friends of the teenagers involved in the attack on policemen. The exact number of detainees is unknown, residents of the Shali District report.

"New detentions of adolescents were held on August 23-25. Law enforcers travelled along the streets and took away all those who were familiar, studied together or lived in the neighbourhood with (the attackers). Detainees were taken to the ROVD, interrogated, and released only late at night. Nobody explained anything; it all boiled down to the fact that there is an order from above to check adolescents for their possible involvement in the [grouping]," said Akhmad, a resident of Shali.

All in all, after the attacks on policemen in the Shali District, law enforcers detained from 150 to 200 people, locals told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent. The "Caucasian Knot" is not able to verify the accuracy of these calculations. According to a source from the Chechen MIA, these were operative and preventive measures, and certain investigative actions.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on August 27, 2018 at 01:52 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Source: CK correspondents

All news

December 12, 2019 17:34

  • Chechen officials neglect US sanctions

    Ruslan Alkhanov, Chechen Minister of Internal Affairs, invited the United States to include all Chechen policemen in the US sanctions list. The Chechen Minister's proposal demonstrates his allegiance to Ramzan Kadyrov, who is also under the US sanctions, local residents suggest. Instagram users ironically commented on the sanctions imposed by the US Department of State.

December 12, 2019 17:26

December 12, 2019 17:09

December 12, 2019 11:33

December 12, 2019 11:29

  • Rights defenders analyze background of the First Chechen War

    The first military campaign in Chechnya had been brewing since 1990, and was carried out without any account of expert estimates; launching a war machine in its worst form cost tens of thousands of human lives, analysts have concluded on the 25th anniversary of the advent of federal troops into Chechnya.

News archive