Customs checkpoint at Russia-Abkhazia border. Photo by Anna Gritsevich for the Caucasian Knot

04 August 2018, 14:15

Guests of FIFA World Cup-2018 ignored visa-free travel to Abkhazia

The visa-free travel regime for the period of the World Cup failed to result in a sharp increase in the flow of tourists to Abkhazia from the neighbouring Sochi, which hosted World Cup matches. During the period of visa-free regime, only 2000 foreigners visited Abkhazia.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that from June 15 to August 1 this year, Abkhazia, in connection with the World Cup in Russia, cancelled its visa regime for foreigners, who entered the republic from Russia.

During the visa-free regime, over 2000 foreigners visited the republic, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told in the Frontier Guard Detachment of the National Security Service (NSS) of Abkhazia. "About 1650 foreigners visited Abkhazia, and about 400 persons crossed the border under their fan's passports," the Detachment has specified.

Most tourists learned about Abkhazia for the first time, including the journalists Luis Enrique and Cesar Julio Sanchez from the "Azteca" Mexican TV Channel, who were in Sochi during the World Cup. "We could only get out for a few hours to get acquainted with the local cuisine and see the sights," Luis Enrique told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

According to the Frontier Department for the Krasnodar Territory of the Russian Federal Security Bureau (FSB), in the period from May 1 to July 25, 2018, the Russian-Abkhazian border was crossed for 2.7 million times. This is almost 190,000 less than during the same last year's period.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on August 4, 2018 at 09:45 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Dmitry Stateinov; Source: CK correspondent

All news

September 21, 2019 22:04

September 21, 2019 21:56

  • Journalists beaten up in Ingushetia assess prospects of their complaints to ECtHR

    The journalists and rights defenders, who suffered, when their minibus of the Joint Mobile Group (JMG) was attacked in Ingushetia in 2016, have complained to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), indicating violations of five articles of the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR). However, the victims have no hope that their complaints to the ECtHR will contribute to the resumption of an effective investigation of their case in Russia.

September 21, 2019 15:21

  • Residents of South Ossetia mark Republic Day with parade and mass festivities

    On the occasion of the Republic Day in South Ossetia, four days-off were announced, September 20-23. According to the tradition, residents of Tskhinvali, the capital, came to the military parade and festivities, although not everyone knows the meaning of the holiday. In 1990, with the proclamation of the South Ossetian Republic, the process of the collapse of the USSR began, said Mamuka Areshidze, a Georgian political analyst.

September 21, 2019 15:17

September 21, 2019 11:38

News archive