Employee of the “Radio Liberty” at the entrance to the office, Baku, December 2014. Photo by the 'Caucasian Knot' correspondent.

14 April 2017, 18:28

"Radio Liberty" reports blocking its website in Azerbaijan

The access to one of the country's main independent sources of information – the “Radio Azadlyg” (the Azerbaijani service of the “Radio Liberty”, – note of the "Caucasian Knot") – is blocked, says the statement of the corporation "Free Europe/Radio Liberty", posted in the evening on April 13 on the corporation’s website.

"The blocking of the website started on March 27," the corporation states, noting that it suspects the “Delta Telecom” company of the blocking, which, according to the Freedom House, had been licensed by the Azerbaijani government and is one of two country’s Internet providers."

The statement also points out that other independent mass media are facing the same problem – the "Meydan.TV" and the newspaper "Azadlyg" (azadliq.info).

However, the “Delta Telecom” has rejected accusations of blocking the websites of the "Radio Azadlyg", "Meydan.TV" and "Azadlyg" newspaper.

"We are engaged only in technical activities and are not interested in who is on whose political side. Closing access to websites or committing technical attacks on them have nothing to do with the ‘Delta Telecom’," says the company's written response to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The closure of access to websites is a manifestation of political will and has to do with the content of the blocked resources, believe the experts interviewed by the “Caucasian Knot”.

"It may be that the ‘Delta Telecom’, as a main Internet provider, is not directly involved in blocking the websites; but in this case the company should provide evidence that the filters have not been installed by it. The stopped access is a manifestation of political will," Alesker Mamedli, a member of the “Civil Society Platform” (CSP) and an expert in the field of media law, told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

August 22, 2017 15:32

August 21, 2017 18:58

  • Number of fire victims in Rostov-on-Don reaches 27

    In Rostov-on-Don, five persons have been hospitalized as a result of a fire. One of the victims is a member of the rescue team from the Ministry for Emergencies (MfE). This was reported by medical officers from the hospital.

August 21, 2017 17:27

  • Fire victims from Mokok call their village "Russian Aleppo"

    The authorities, who promised to pay compensation to fire victims from Mokok, do nothing to keep their promise. This was reported by local residents. At present, the Dagestani village with burned down houses "looks like the Syrian city of Aleppo," noted Tagir Magomedov, a local resident.

August 21, 2017 14:33

August 21, 2017 13:55

News archive