The activists in Freedom Square in Yerevan. March 17, 2017. Photo by Armine Martirosyan for "Caucasian Knot"

17 March 2017, 19:44

About two thousand march in memory of Arthur Sargsyan

The participants of the march in memory of the activist Arthur Sargsyan, who died after a hunger strike, are moving to the building of the Armenian government.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on March 16, after the news about the death of Arthur Sargsyan, residents of Yerevan held a protest march demanding the resignation of the Armenian president and the leadership of the Ministries of Justice and Public Health. Today, about 500 people came to the action in Freedom Square in Yerevan. The organizers demanded from the authorities to give a permit to bury the activist in the military cemetery.

Arthur Sargsyan died at hospital on March 16, after a 25-day-long hunger strike, which he held demanding to release him from arrest. The activist was persecuted for the fact that in July 2016 he broke through the police cordon and handed food over to the members of the "Sasna Tsrer" detachment, who were holding the police building in Yerevan.

According to organizers, by the start of the march the number of protesters went up from 500 to 2000.

The authorities are guilty of Sargsyan's death, as they should not have allowed arresting him for the second time, said Vartan Oskanyan, the former country’s Minister of Foreign Affairs (MFA).

Earlier today, the activist Vardges Gaspari has stated that the police did not allow him to hold a solo protest action, related to the death of Sargsyan, in front of the president's cortege.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Armine Martirosyan; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 25, 2017 22:49

  • Relatives report disappearance of Apti Kharaev, resident of Chechnya

    Apti Kharaev, a resident of the Urus-Martan District of Chechnya, went missing on March 14; since then, his whereabouts is unknown, said his relatives, who turned to the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial". Earlier, Kharaev had been convicted for taking part in an illegal armed formation (IAF), and was accused of killing power agents, law enforcement sources have reported.

March 25, 2017 21:22

March 25, 2017 20:53

March 25, 2017 15:32

March 25, 2017 13:06

  • Tenants of “Neptun” boarding house in Sochi warned about eviction

    On March 24, a court marshal warned the three families remaining in the “Neptun” boarding house about eviction them without providing other housing. Svetlana Moiseenko with her two children and the Martynov family should do it before April 1, the Manukov family - before June 1. The tenants have stated that they have nowhere to move.

News archive