Court hearing in the case on the Avetisyan massacre in Gyumri. Photo: http://ru.armeniasputnik.am/armenia/20151218/1427096.html

07 March 2017, 19:26

Defence states court’s reluctance to consider complaint of Avetisyans’ relatives

The successors of the Avetisyan family have repeatedly sent a complaint to the Court of Cassation demanding a new trial in the case on the family massacre in Gyumri. Their advocate Aramazd Kiviryan has stated that the court refuses to consider the successors’ complaint for far-fetched reasons.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that in January 2017, the successors of the Avetisyan family lodged a complaint to the Court of Cassation demanding to retry the murder case of the family in Gyumri at the first instance court, and stating its intention to apply to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in case of rejection of the complaint. However, the Court of Cassation has returned the complaint.

On August 23, Valery Permyakov, a soldier of the 102nd Russian military base stationed in Gyumri, was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of seven members of the Avetisyan family. The injured party demands a new examination of the case, arguing that the motives for the crime had not been established; and Permyakov could not act alone.

Aramazd Kiviryan is sure that the Court of Cassation will once again return the successors’ complaint. "Both at the first instance court, and at the court of appeal, it became clear that Armenia would not file a civil suit against Russia on the Permyakov’s case regarding intangible damage. The Cassation   Court will now uphold this position," said the advocate.

In his opinion, "during the inquiry into Permyakov's case, they closed the eyes on Russia's actual inaction."

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Armine Martirosyan; Source: CK correspondent

All news

June 17, 2019 11:11

  • Dagestani activist asks Putin to react to Kizlyar conflict

    The visit of Chechen law enforcers to Kizlyar and Kadyrov's promise to "break fingers" to commentators are a threat to public safety in Dagestan; the federal authorities should interfere and ensure a competent investigation of the incident, Magomedrasul Guseinov, an activist, said in his appeal to President Putin and heads of law enforcement agencies.

June 17, 2019 10:47

  • Relatives report kidnapping of three Derbent residents

    On June 15, relatives of Islam Barzukaev, Mirazali Mirzaliev and Gasan Kurbanov, residents of Derbent, turned to the police to report their kidnapping. On June 16, it became known that all the three were detained for weapon possession, relatives reported.

June 17, 2019 10:34

  • Kemal Tambiev complained at trial about beating

    Kemal Tambiev, a resident of Dagestan, suspected, along with journalist Gadjiev of financing terrorism, was taken to the court with traces of physical violence and told at the session that he had been beaten up.

June 17, 2019 10:22

  • "Khabze" activists demand to release Kochesoko

    In their statement posted in social networks, members of the NGO "Khabze" have expressed their outrage at the charges brought against their leader, Martin Kochesoko, and demanded his release.

June 16, 2019 09:42

  • Georgia: opponents of gay parade announce protests against LGBT people

    A large-scale action against LGBT people will be held next week in Georgia, Levan Vasadze, a businessman, has announced, noting that protesters are ready to confront policemen. In his turn, Giorgi Burdjanadze, Deputy Ombudsperson, has called on opponents to the gay parade not to abuse the freedom of self-expression.

News archive