Policemen disperse opposition protest action, Baku, December 10, 2012. Photo by Aziz Karimov for the 'Caucasian Knot'.

16 February 2017, 17:27

ECtHR upholds complaints of 11 citizens of Azerbaijan

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) found a violation of the rights of the eleven Azerbaijani citizens, arrested in the course of opposition’s actions in 2010-2014, and obliged the country’s authorities to pay compensation to them totalling to 138,870 euros.

The ECtHR’s decision on the cases of 11 Azerbaijani applicants was announced today, on February 16, and is posted on the website of the ECtHR.

According to the advocate Asabali Mustafaev, who represented the interests of ten applicants, in their complaints, they stated the violation of their right to the freedom of assembly and self-expression.

"The complaints of oppositional activists concerned their administrative arrests for taking part in peaceful protests in Baku in 2010-2014. The authorities dispersed those demonstrations under the pretext that the municipal authorities had not sanctioned them. However, the ECtHR has concluded that the very refusal to sanction the actions was illegal,” Mr Mustafaev told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Faik Medzhid; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 25, 2017 22:49

  • Relatives report disappearance of Apti Kharaev, resident of Chechnya

    Apti Kharaev, a resident of the Urus-Martan District of Chechnya, went missing on March 14; since then, his whereabouts is unknown, said his relatives, who turned to the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial". Earlier, Kharaev had been convicted for taking part in an illegal armed formation (IAF), and was accused of killing power agents, law enforcement sources have reported.

March 25, 2017 21:22

March 25, 2017 20:53

March 25, 2017 15:32

March 25, 2017 13:06

  • Tenants of “Neptun” boarding house in Sochi warned about eviction

    On March 24, a court marshal warned the three families remaining in the “Neptun” boarding house about eviction them without providing other housing. Svetlana Moiseenko with her two children and the Martynov family should do it before April 1, the Manukov family - before June 1. The tenants have stated that they have nowhere to move.

News archive