Magomed Mutsolgov. Photo: RFE/RL

10 February 2017, 05:19

After months of checking, SC refuses to open case against Magomed Mutsolgov

The investigating authorities have refused to initiate criminal proceedings against Ingush human rights defender Magomed Mutsolgov. Law enforcers claimed discovery on the Magomed Mutsolgov's PCs of materials in support of terrorists and materials of pornography. However, none of the law enforcers' claims was confirmed. The human rights defenders have stated that the attempt to discredit the activities of Magomed Mutsolgov and his organization "Mashr" had failed.

It has been reported that on November 6, 2015, in Ingushetia, law enforcers carried out a search ay the office of the human rights organization "Mashr" and the house of its leader Magomed Mutsolgov, an author of the blog on the "Caucasian Knot".

According to Magomed Mutsolgov, this year, he was repeatedly summoned for questioning to the Investigating Committee and the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA). The human rights defender has noted that law enforcers tried to accuse him of "positive attitude towards terrorism and dissemination of child pornography."

The human rights defender has also added that all office equipment seized during searches was returned to him.

Ekaterina Sokiryanskaya, the head of the mission of the International Crisis Group (ICG), believes that the campaign against Magomed Mutsolgov was launched to discredit him as the leader of the "Mashr" and to morally dislocate the people engaged in human rights activities for many years.

Oleg Orlov, a member of the Board of the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial", has said he had no doubt that all the accusations against Magomed Mutsolgov will crumble into dust.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Tatyana Gantimurova; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 25, 2017 22:49

  • Relatives report disappearance of Apti Kharaev, resident of Chechnya

    Apti Kharaev, a resident of the Urus-Martan District of Chechnya, went missing on March 14; since then, his whereabouts is unknown, said his relatives, who turned to the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial". Earlier, Kharaev had been convicted for taking part in an illegal armed formation (IAF), and was accused of killing power agents, law enforcement sources have reported.

March 25, 2017 21:22

March 25, 2017 20:53

March 25, 2017 15:32

March 25, 2017 13:06

  • Tenants of “Neptun” boarding house in Sochi warned about eviction

    On March 24, a court marshal warned the three families remaining in the “Neptun” boarding house about eviction them without providing other housing. Svetlana Moiseenko with her two children and the Martynov family should do it before April 1, the Manukov family - before June 1. The tenants have stated that they have nowhere to move.

News archive