Alexei Knedlyakovsky. Screenshot of a video by the user Kublog Kublogov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3PWytAAbFk

28 December 2016, 14:25

Hunger strike of blogger Knedlyakovsky in Krasnodar supported by activist Chirikov

Alexei Knedlyakovsky and Victor Chirikov, arrested for participation in the action near the monument to Dzerzhinsky in Krasnodar, have gone on a hunger strike, their advocates have reported. The advocate of Mr Chirikov said that a complaint had been lodged against the arrest. The advocate of Mr Knedlyakovsky is concerned about his client's health.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on December 23, the Leninsky District Court of Krasnodar found the blogger and painter Alexei Knedlyakovsky guilty of disorderly conduct and sentenced him to 15 days of arrest; the same penalty was imposed on the Krasnodar activist Victor Chirikov.

Alexei Knedlyakovsky was charged with petty hooliganism after posting in social networks a photo of the monument to Felix Dzerzhinsky in Krasnodar, to pedestal of which a Catholic cross was attached, while Victor Chirikov faced the same charge also in connection with the same action – attachment of a cross to the monument to Dzerzhinsky.

The advocate Alexei Avanesyan has reported that Chirikov did not complain about the conditions of his custody at the SIZO (pre-trial prison).

Earlier, Dmitri Shevchenko, the Deputy Coordinator of the "Ecological Watch for Northern Caucasus" (EcoWatch), said that Victor Chirikov came in touch with his friends and complained about poor conditions at the SIZO.

The health status of Alexei Knedlyakovsky is deteriorating, but he refuses to stop the hunger strike, said his advocate Alexander Popkov, adding that his client was on hunger strike for five days and felt very weak.

Marina Kaluzhskaya, a member of the Public Oversight Commission (POC), has promised that soon the POC members would visit the SIZO.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Anna Gritsevich; Source: CK correspondent

All news

November 29, 2020 12:05

  • Armenian conscripts' parents demand to withdraw troops from Karabakh

    Regular soldiers should be returned from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia; otherwise they may become victims of acts of sabotage or be captured, protesters in Yerevan have stated. The Armenian Defence Minister has ruled out the troop withdrawal, but promised to send soldiers to vacations.

November 29, 2020 11:48

  • Law enforcers conduct searches near right defenders' in Karabulak

    Law enforcers have cordoned off an area in the city of Karabulak, where the office of the human rights organization "Mashr" is located, and searched several houses, sources have reported. The operation was accompanied by interruptions of mobile internet throughout Ingushetia.

November 28, 2020 21:09

  • Chechnya ranked third in North Caucasus by COVID-19 deaths increase

    Over the past 24 hours, 23 patients died from coronavirus in the North-Caucasian Federal District (NCFD): 10 people died in Dagestan; seven – in the Stavropol Territory. Chechnya is in the third place; three deaths were recorded there for the last 24 hours. These three regions are still in the lead in the NCFD in terms of the daily increase in the number of infected persons.

November 28, 2020 18:22

  • COVID-19 restrictions in force in Georgia

    From November 28 to January 31, 2021, mass events are prohibited in Georgia; catering facilities have been transferred to a remote operation mode; and the movement of public transport and pedestrians is limited.

November 28, 2020 17:51

  • School work resumed in Stepanakert

    Russian peacemakers have demined the territory of one of the schools in Stepanakert; they have also resumed the heat and electricity supplies thereto, after which the school has resumed its work. During the last 24 hours, 2115 refugees returned to Nagorno-Karabakh.

News archive