Tamta Mikeladze, an employee of the NPO "Centre for Education and Human Rights Monitoring". Photo: Levan Gvaramadze (RFEL/RL)

12 July 2015, 15:58

Rights defenders state pressure on staff of Muslim boarding house in Kobuleti

The Batumi City Court is considering a complaint lodged by the managers of the Muslim boarding house in Kobuleti about the pressure from local residents who oppose the work of the institution. According to rights defenders, the opposition in Kobuleti is stimulated by the local Orthodox clergy.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that in Kobuleti several times over the last year local residents held actions against the opening of the Muslim boarding house.

On July 7, the day, when Kobuleti hosted another protest action, the city was visited by Judge Khatuna Bolkvadze from the Batumi City Court, who is considering the complaint of the Muslim community about discrimination from Orthodox believers. The hearing of the parties on the case is scheduled for July 15.

The Batumi City Court should take measures to safeguard the pupils and the staff of the boarding house in Kobuleti, said Tamta Mikeladze, an employee of the NPO "Centre for Education and Human Rights Monitoring".

According to her story, for a long time part of the population of Kobuleti have been using illegal methods in their attempts to stop the work of the boarding house and force its managers to leave the city. She added that the 10 employees of the institution received personal threats from residents of Kobuleti.

The local population is well aware of the fact that there are no extremists in the boarding house, said Mikeladze.

Full text of the article is available on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’.

Author: Beslan Kmuzov; Source: CK correspondent

All news

January 17, 2019 22:14

January 17, 2019 22:08

January 17, 2019 17:56

January 17, 2019 17:49

  • Chechen authorities announce a free excursion to region bordering Ingushetia

    A free excursion to the Galanchozh District is scheduled for January 26, and any citizen of Chechnya can take part in it, reports the spokesperson for the Ministry of Tourism for Chechnya. The initiative was announced after Ingush activists had voiced a call to abandon the resettlement of Chechen residents to the above territory.

January 17, 2019 17:38

News archive