13 June 2013, 09:10
Chechen leadership recognizes involvement of its people in Syrian warfare
Leaders of Chechnya have acknowledged the fact of participation of republic's natives in the war in Syria. According to the source of the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent from the Council for Chechnya's Economic and Social Security, so far, 29 natives of the republic have taken part in the war in Syria; seven of them were killed.
The participation of Russian citizens in the fighting in Syria was also confirmed by Alexander Bortnikov, Director of the Russian Federal Security Bureau (FSB). "About 200 people from the Russian Federation are fighting on the side of terrorists in Syria," he said on June 6 after the meeting of heads of special services, security agencies and law enforcement bodies of foreign countries-FSB partners.
According to his story, the meeting discussed the activities of terrorist organizations in North Africa and, above all, in Syria. "The fact that about 200 people from the Russian Federation are fighting on the side of militants, for 'Imarat Kavkaz' under the banner of 'Al Qaeda' and other affiliates, is Russia's concern," he said.
Local residents report that Chechen authorities are persecuting relatives of those who fight in Syria.
"Relatives of the young men, who had left to fight in Syria, are openly harassed. People fear to raise the issue, because the consequences can be even worse," said Salambek, a resident of the republic, who earlier worked for law enforcement bodies.
The administration of the Chechen capital denies information about the pressure on combatants' relatives.
Author: Muslim Ibragimov, Alexander Ivanov; Source: CK correspondents