Nikolai Yarst. Photo by Svetlana Kravchenko for the "Caucasian Knot"

31 May 2013, 22:00

Yarst: charges of illegal drug possession in Sochi has to do with my professional activities

As stated by Nikolai Yarst, a journalist and a freelance reporter of the "Public Television of Russia" (PTR), his criminal prosecution initiated by the UVD (Interior Department) of Sochi and the charges of illegal possession and transportation of drugs are the result of his professional activities. He also stressed that the drugs had been planted on him.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on May 23 Nikolai Yarst and Philip Vasilenko, members of the filming group of the PTR, were detained in Sochi. UVD policemen found a package with substance of gray-green colour in their car. The UVD spokesman said that the detainees are suspected of possessing drugs. Today, Nikolai Yarst was charged with illegal possession of narcotics.

Tonight, Judge Nikolai Udovik of the Tsentralny District Court has considered the investigators' motion on Nikolai Yarst's freedom restraint measure. The judge decided to postpone the consideration by 72 hours and scheduled the hearing for 3:30 p.m. on June 3, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent reports.

He also noted that one of the policemen "got, without witnesses, onto the back seat of the car and pulled out an envelope, which, as they later explained to the journalist, contained some synthetic psychoactive substances".

"I realized immediately that the envelope was planted into the car, because I have never dealt with the drugs and I don't even smoke. The witnesses of the search stood behind, while the policeman, while inspecting the car, as I believe, planted these substances and then showed them to the witnesses. Policemen could not do it earlier, as the car stood for the whole night outside the house and was locked. Later we went to the drug clinic in Plastunskaya Street, where the doctor took my blood assay and gave the conclusion that I had no drugs in my blood," said Nikolai Yarst.

"There were no my fingerprints on the envelope with planted drugs," the journalist asserts.

"I believe that all these actions against me are directly related to the case of the stolen girl that I have tracing for a year. I was interested in one question - why aren't law enforcers looking for the baby? I was just going to get an official comment at the Investigating Committee, but what I got instead of comment you know - a criminal case for what I couldn't even imagine. And now attempts are taken again to 'close' me; probably not to allow me talking about the violations of my rights admitted by the investigation. I have no other explanation," said Nikolai Yarst.

Andrei Kovalenko, the head of the press service of the UVD, told the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent that he "has no right to comment until the investigation is underway."

Author: Svetlana Kravchenko; Source: CK correspondent

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 24, 2017 18:33

  • Date for return of Ingush battalion from Syria announced

    On May 10, fighters of the battalion of the military police sent from Ingushetia to Syria will return home. This has been reported today to Yunus-Bek Evkurov by Vladimir Ivanovsky, the head of the Chief Department of the Russian Military Police.

March 24, 2017 18:28

  • IS claims responsibility for attack in Chechnya

    The organization "Islamic State" (IS), banned in Russia, has claimed responsible for attacking the military camp of the National Guard, as a result of which 12 people were killed and three others wounded. Four days before the attack, a video appeared on the Internet of a meeting of militants-returnees from Syria, members of another terrorist organization, which opposes the IS.

March 24, 2017 18:23

  • Authorities find rally of Navalny’s supporters in Volgograd anti-constitutional

    The rally of supporters of Alexei Navalny planned to propagate the ideas, which may be treated as aimed at undermining the constitutional order, an official of the Volgograd Mayoralty has stated at court. The aim of the rally was to get answers from the authorities to the questions voiced in the Navalny’s film, said Alexei Volkov, the electoral office coordinator.

March 24, 2017 14:49

  • Alexander Dolzhenko's defence accuses court of desire to produce "second Magnitsky"

    In Elista, in his final speech, defendant Alexander Dolzhenko has announced to the court his innocence in the case of deliberate bankruptcy of the "Dalnyaya Step" Company. The funds were withdrawn from the company under the control of top-ranking officials. This opinion was voiced by advocates, who suspect the court of "the desire to make the second Magnitsky out of Alexander Dolzhenko."

March 24, 2017 14:27

News archive