26 April 2013, 23:10

Johar Tsarnaev stops testifying, a source from American authorities report

Johar Tsarnaev, a suspect of committing the terror act in Boston, was read a statement of his rights; after which he ceased testifying. His defence will be headed by the lawyer Miriam Conrad, who earlier defended in court the Briton, who had tried to blow up a Paris-Miami aircraft. According to sources from US authorities, the bombs in Boston could be triggered remotely, while Tsarnaev brothers had planned a terror act in New York.

Johar Tsarnaev stopped testifying as soon as a notice of his rights was read to him; and before that he said that his elder brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev at the very last moment managed to persuade him to take part in the terror act. This was reported on April 25 by the Associated Press with reference to some unnamed US officials.

According to the US TV Channel ABC News, Johar Tsarnaev's defence will be headed by Miriam Conrad, who heads the Boston branch of the Federal Office of State Defence and became known after the case of the Briton Richard Reid, who three months after the attacks of 11 September 2001 brought a bomb in his shoe and tried to trigger it on board the American Airlines aircraft, flying from Paris to Miami. For his crime Reid was sentenced to three life terms and the fine totalling 2 million US dollars.

As for Tamerlan Tsarnaev, his father Anzor has noted that his son's body was not yet given out to relatives. Earlier, Tamerlan's aunt Patimat Suleimanova said that the body had been given out.

"The body of my son hasn't been given out; and we do not even know where it is," Anzor Tsarnaev said on April 25, as the RIA "Novosti" reports.

According to Michael Bloomberg, the New York City Mayor, who spoke referring to the testimonies that Johar Tsarnaev had given to FBI agents, Johar and Tamerlan had planned to use the remaining explosives in Times Square, the BBC reports. The radio has also said that 1.5 years ago Tamerlan Tsarnaev was one and a half years ago entered into the database of the anti-terrorist unit on the request of the CIA.

According to Raymond Kelly, the head of the New York Police, Johar Tsarnaev told investigators that he and his brother had spontaneously decided to go to New York aiming to trigger bombs there, but their plans went awry. The decision, according to Kelly, was made a few days after the explosion in Boston, when the Tsarnaevs were driving a hijacked car, but they had to give up the idea, as they found that the car was almost out of gas; and a few hours later Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with the police, the "Voice of America" reports.

The New York Post wrote on April 25, referring to Congressman Charles Ruppersberger that the alleged perpetrators could use a remote control pendant of a toy car to activate their bombs.

According to the MP, FBI agents showed remnants of the pendant found at the scene of the crime. Mr Ruppersberger has added that the Boston bombers could get knowledge about the manufacture of explosive devices from the online magazine, issued by the terrorist grouping "Al-Qaeda".

Form of mobile communication
SMS: 8 903-767-6060
Know more? Do not be silent!
Lt feedback banner
All news

March 24, 2017 18:33

  • Date for return of Ingush battalion from Syria announced

    On May 10, fighters of the battalion of the military police sent from Ingushetia to Syria will return home. This has been reported today to Yunus-Bek Evkurov by Vladimir Ivanovsky, the head of the Chief Department of the Russian Military Police.

March 24, 2017 18:28

  • IS claims responsibility for attack in Chechnya

    The organization "Islamic State" (IS), banned in Russia, has claimed responsible for attacking the military camp of the National Guard, as a result of which 12 people were killed and three others wounded. Four days before the attack, a video appeared on the Internet of a meeting of militants-returnees from Syria, members of another terrorist organization, which opposes the IS.

March 24, 2017 18:23

  • Authorities find rally of Navalny’s supporters in Volgograd anti-constitutional

    The rally of supporters of Alexei Navalny planned to propagate the ideas, which may be treated as aimed at undermining the constitutional order, an official of the Volgograd Mayoralty has stated at court. The aim of the rally was to get answers from the authorities to the questions voiced in the Navalny’s film, said Alexei Volkov, the electoral office coordinator.

March 24, 2017 14:49

  • Alexander Dolzhenko's defence accuses court of desire to produce "second Magnitsky"

    In Elista, in his final speech, defendant Alexander Dolzhenko has announced to the court his innocence in the case of deliberate bankruptcy of the "Dalnyaya Step" Company. The funds were withdrawn from the company under the control of top-ranking officials. This opinion was voiced by advocates, who suspect the court of "the desire to make the second Magnitsky out of Alexander Dolzhenko."

March 24, 2017 14:27

News archive